Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Document Management System/Content Management

Options
  • 11-09-2012 7:50pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently looking at document management systems for work. I thought there would be a wealth of information in relation to the various software packages out there. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find much info at all.

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend document management software?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Enigma IE wrote: »

Cheers, much appreciated.

Do you use it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Yes, we use it extensively. I work in a very large PLC, it's an expensive product, but excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Hi Shane,

Your thread title says Document Management / Content Management - I'd consider these to be very different things. What exactly are you looking for?

I don't know much about content management systems, but there are tons of document management products out there. It's not so much about find one that suits, as ruling out the ones that don't suit and then looking closer at what's left.

You can narrow your search quickly if you have any special requirements. i.e. on-premise or *shudder* cloud based.
    Windows only or a mixed OS environment.
    Are there any regulatory requirements, for example if your company is in the pharma industry.
    Types of documents that you need to manage for example, if you need to manage CAD documents, do you need integration into your CAD software.
    Scope of the system - are you looking for a one man system, one department, one site, or an enterprise wide system.

Once you have a shortlist of suitable products, then come up with a functional spec and a wishlist. What do you definitely need the software to do for you, and what features are "would be nice to have" items.

Document management is a big topic - implementing a company wide document management system isn't something to be undertaken lightly - but if it's done properly it can have huge benifits to a business that was previously operating without document management software. Having said that, the concepts and principles of document management aren't rocket science - it's fairly straightforward stuff. The tricky bit is getting the right product and managing the implementation well.

Brian

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Hi Shane,

Your thread title says Document Management / Content Management - I'd consider these to be very different things. What exactly are you looking for?

I don't know much about content management systems, but there are tons of document management products out there. It's not so much about find one that suits, as ruling out the ones that don't suit and then looking closer at what's left.

You can narrow your search quickly if you have any special requirements. i.e. on-premise or *shudder* cloud based.
    Windows only or a mixed OS environment.
    Are there any regulatory requirements, for example if your company is in the pharma industry.
    Types of documents that you need to manage for example, if you need to manage CAD documents, do you need integration into your CAD software.
    Scope of the system - are you looking for a one man system, one department, one site, or an enterprise wide system.

Once you have a shortlist of suitable products, then come up with a functional spec and a wishlist. What do you definitely need the software to do for you, and what features are "would be nice to have" items.

Document management is a big topic - implementing a company wide document management system isn't something to be undertaken lightly - but if it's done properly it can have huge benifits to a business that was previously operating without document management software. Having said that, the concepts and principles of document management aren't rocket science - it's fairly straightforward stuff. The tricky bit is getting the right product and managing the implementation well.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Cheers for the reply. It's a document management system we're looking for.

It'll be an onsite system.

We are based in the accounting and finance sector.

• Advertisement
Advertisement