Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batch file renaming

Options
  • 11-09-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

I have a ton of files sitting inside folders, and I want to copy them into one folder. Problem is, the files sitting inside the folders are all called the same thing.

So for example;
    >FolderABC>Illustration.eps
    >FolderBCR>Illustration.eps
    >FolderBNM>Illustration.eps

If I run a search, and try copy into a new folder, they all have the same name name and want to overwrite each other.

What I'd really like is to rename the file with the name of the folder, so;
    >FolderABC>Illustration.eps
    becomes
    >FolderABC>FolderABC.eps
    or
    >FolderABC.eps

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I searched quite a bit for a good batch renamer as my work needs it.

I paid for "name mangler" on the app store but a free app will do the same thing. example: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33659/rename

Adobe Bridge has batch renaming capabilities but I wouldn't recommend it. Also Mac Automator has the ability to carry out those task, but it's a bit tricky to use. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Renamer4Mac is quite good.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

I've found 'therename' application excellent for windows not sure if there is a Mac version if that's what your OS is.

hi,

i use the built in automator app.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2488?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

can take a bit of getting used to but dead handy for renaming files .
    i've done it for renaming a whole bunch of similarly name files like photos etc and its been a breeze.
    Not too sure about getting the folder name on there but sure it can be done somehow.

Still, its free and already there :)

edit: nvm just saw the 2nd post mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Thanks for the replies, ended up using a renaming tool to rename them and add a number at the end, so illustration001.eps, illustration002.eps etc etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement