Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA and renting a room?

Options
  • 11-09-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Can someone tell me or link me to the information on Job Seekers Allowance while renting a room in a house where the other people are working? Is it means tested and do they need their information or is it just based on my own means?

I'm currently in receipt of Job seekers, but looking for accommodation to rent a room in a house. Anyone doing this, have experience of or any information on it?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

It will be your own means.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Bluegrass

So it won't be anything to do with the owner in the house? I'm looking at a room here for rent with an occupied owner who is working, so it won't affect them or they won't want to know how much the owner is getting etc and my payments as they are shouldn't be affected?

Also, I'm getting some rent allowance now, is that possible if I'm only renting a room? Thanks for your reply.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Bluegrass wrote: »
    So it won't be anything to do with the owner in the house? I'm looking at a room here for rent with an occupied owner who is working, so it won't affect them or they won't want to know how much the owner is getting etc and my payments as they are shouldn't be affected?
    I presume you have a landlord tenant arrangement with the house owner therefore there income makes no difference to your claim.

Getting rent allowance in shared accommodation is not unusual

Well the room was just advertised, no lease or anything, just a two week deposit. What will I have to get from the landlord?

Could I use a template landlord tenancy agreement like the ones available on the net and get the landlord to fill it out would that work?

There is no said lease, but there is a deposit paid and I'll be there for four months so it is in essence a short term lease..?

• Advertisement

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Forms/Documents/swa_rs1.pdf

Have a look at the landlord section.

Seems like a lot of hardship just to get accommodation. I'm already getting rent supplement where I am, I didn't have to go through this much to get my own apartment rented, let alone a room?

Is the landlord part only part 13?? It's confusing

Is it just the landlord part i need filled out or will i have to fill out the rest again?

Also, if there is no rent book, what do i use as proof?? Do I just print off a template for a tenancy agreement and use that as well or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

OP,I am sharing a flat. both our names our on the lease. i am in full time work. The other persons job seekers allowance was means tested based on my income and subsequently cut to 80 a week from 188. He has told them we are not in a relationship or anything but they told him we are co habiting so they Will base it on the money coming into the house. My advice to you was get a separate lease for yourself rather than adding your name on a fixed tenancy agreement

Advertisement