Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone still have their Iodine tablets for when Sellafield explodes?

Options
  • 11-09-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember the roll-out of iodine tablets for the populace of Ireland in 2002?

I cant find mine.

We don't need them anymore because everything is safe now I'm sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

We kept ours handy, always beside the paracetamol and eyewash. Don't want none of that thyroid cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Were it to "blow up", a pissing little iodine tablet isn't going to save you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Sure didn't they have an expiry date of 2005 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

They passed their best before date years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

yep, still have mine and know where it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Jello wrote: »
    Yes they did, but im hoping that like a fine wine they improve with age :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I sold mine to an illiturate.... an illiterit.... a junkie that couldn't read good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

are you trying to tell us something OP?

you have me worried!! :(

Sure we only got 4 for our family of 6 and adults have to take 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Sure we only got 4 for our family of 6 and adults have to take 2.

now we'll see who daddies favourite really is :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

More money well spent by our previous Governments:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I didn't get any at all - I was obviously classed as expendable by my postman, and he kept mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Jello wrote: »

The expiry date is something that has to be on all medical products, but potassium iodide is stable and will retain its effectiveness long after the listed expiry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The government can no longer afford to supply it's citizens with iodine.

Lucky for us it's inexpensive and easy to find

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iOSAT-Potassium-Iodide-Tablets-130/dp/B00006NT3A

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Yep they are sitting on the coffee table.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I remember when these were sent out there was no where near enough for everyone in the house so I took the lot and hid them in my room :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Don't have my Idoine Tablets, but would be willing to pay good money for a copy of the old Irish Government 'Protect and Survive' type booklet, called 'Bas agus Beatha', if anyone reading has one still lying around ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I remember when these were sent out there was no where near enough for everyone in the house so I took the lot and hid them in my room :D

You're a survivor Teddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Yes, and my millennium candle for light, heat, and cooking in the nuclear winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

i snorted mine using the millennium tree certificate rolled up ( remember that :P ) in a room lit by the millennium candle while chomping on my rescission cheese

good times good times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i snorted mine using the millennium tree certificate rolled up ( remember that :P ) in a room lit by the millennium candle while chomping on my rescission cheese

good times good times

Hope you kept your Millenium 50p coins for currency after the nuclear winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

i thought that iodine that we got is gone off already.. so its practically useless no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Didn't the then Minister for Defence Willie O'DJ advocate the wearing of a moustache to help filter out the radioactive particles in the air?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Since I'm a Protestant, I threw mine away. It was common knowledge that the tablets were nobbled to make us stubborn and infertile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Didn't the then Minister for Defence Willie O'DJ advocate the wearing of a moustache to help filter out the radioactive particles in the air?

No, no, no. He said:- If you see a big toxic cloud you "must dash".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Just finished reading " the Road". I'm now very glad I didn't get any. Jimmy ,Bertie , mary Hearney &all the boys would be the ones on the back of the truck, or in " that" house, methinks..
    Horrible thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Never received them, nothing came through my letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

What was the reason for sending them, was a teen at the time myself. Did they genuinely expect a nuclear disaster at the time. I do remember a lot of post 9/11 paranoia surrounding Sellafield that Bin Laden would target it, ignoring the hundreds more plants like it around Europe and North America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

telecaster wrote: »
    Does anyone still have their Iodine tablets for when Sellafield explodes?

No, but I've a packet of salt with added iodine, so I may die from salt poisoning first.

And I assume you mean when Sellafield explodes AGAIN.

Windscale Fire 1957

They renamed it from Windscale to Sellafield since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

iDave wrote: »
    What was the reason for sending them, was a teen at the time myself. Did they genuinely expect a nuclear disaster at the time. I do remember a lot of post 9/11 paranoia surrounding Sellafield that Bin Laden would target it, ignoring the hundreds more plants like it around Europe and North America.

IIRC basically there was a small accident , and the minister ( Willie O'Dea ?? ) was on the radio and was asked what would happen if Sellafield/Windscale ( whatever they calling it this week ) was attacked. He made such a balls of the answer ( how unusual ) and was backed into a corner . They then had to send out the tablets to try allow him to recover some of his dignity . I am sure someone can find the radio interview in question.

Advertisement