Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning sickness

Options
  • 11-09-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭

hello,

Am just wondering the best things to do for morning sickness, she is 8 weeks along and really suffering. cant keep much food down and really really tired all the time. First baby, so really don't have a clue.

Really don't like seeing her unwell all the time and its draining her. Anything to help her out appreciated

Thanks Ladies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Eat little and often, don't get hungry or overful. I used to have to eat 2 slices of brown bread before bed to help not be sick during the night.
    Keep hydrated, even little sips of water.
    Ginger is supposed to help.
    Sometimes the seasick/travel sick bands can help?
    It usually passes by the second trimester, hope your wife feels better soon.
    congrats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

As Liliq said eating little bits and trying not to get too hungry helped me lots. Same for the eating before getting out of bed, himself always got up first and brought me tea and toast in the mornings and it always helped me loads.

Anything she gets even the slightest bit of inclination towards eating she should go for it, and keep note of what she can tolerate to get her over the next few weeks. For me Tuc crackers, Salt & Vinegar crisps and McFries always helped - I was mad for salty carb snacks that I'd limit when in good health :p

And btw congrats to you both!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Never be hungry - that's a big one. I'm totally sick of eating all the time. Tell her to take it handy and mind herself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I found Taking small sips of sparkling water really good. Also I second that about not getting hungry! Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Gee_G wrote: »
    I found Taking small sips of sparkling water really good. Also I second that about not getting hungry! Good luck :)

Oh yes!! +1 for the sparkling water. It sat easier than still. Forgot that one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

What everyone else said: little and often. I used keep down salt&vinegar taytos, mint crisp bars and 7up or coke when I could keep nothing else down... and once I had something in me I could eat something a bit more nutritious then!

Although at one stage I thought I would brain the next person to suggest crackers to me :D

The best suggestion I can possibly give is to keep sipping at anything she can keep down and nibbling too. The tiredness will pass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

cyning wrote: »
    What everyone else said: little and often. I used keep down salt&vinegar taytos, mint crisp bars and 7up or coke when I could keep nothing else down... and once I had something in me I could eat something a bit more nutritious then!

+1 to this

Eat whatever it is that works first off and let that settle first. Pay attention to the times of day that eating is easiest and make sure to eat then

Tiredness made mine worse too so if she feels like getting straight into bed after work and sleeping straight through - she should. For me doing that sometimes made a world of difference. The total and complete exhaustion is one memory of this pregnancy I will never forget

Congrats to you both! Once the sickness passes its much easier to enjoy being pregnant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

i used to eat gingernut biscuits n dry crackers seemed to work horrible when u smell food and with morning sickness hated it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

wow thanks for all the replies! I will be picking up a few things on the way home tonight so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭TingTong

Hi there,

I know this thread is two months old but felt the need to reply. We have two children a little girl of six and a boy of 4.5. My wife is currently expecting twins :-)

On the past two pregnancies and on the current one my wife has had to be admitted to hospital on several occasions. The sickness usually lasts from week seven of the pregnancy to week seventeen or eighteen. The condition is known as hyper-emesis and is the severest form of morning sickness there is. Total dehydration, not even being able to keep her own saliva down as well as throwing up any food that is down there. When no food or water is present it is stomach acid and bile that comes up, a truly distressing site.

She gets hooked up to an intravenous drip to re-hydrate and sometimes gets vitamins on the drip as well. At any one time she may be in hospital for up to a week, then might get three of four days at home with total bed rest.

I have had to take time of work myself to mind our two other kids and don't expect to return until after Christmas. I must admit on the first pregnancy that I was the worst husband that there was, not having a clue what was going on and comparing my wife to my friends wives who sailed through their nine months with ease. On this one we were completely prepared and expected it.

I would say to anyone else reading this to follow some of the above advice loosely but if in doubt at all get your missus into the maternity unit of your nearest hospital. It's basically all about what are called key-tones. These are a measure to how sick you are. 0 being healthy, going up to 4 for hospital admittance. Key-tone strips can be bought in your local chemist and are tested on urine.

I hope this helps anybody else reading this and I would be interested in how the OP got on two months down the line. I just wish this condition was more widely publicized and we had known about it on our first child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I had hyperemesis too: it was horrific. It's the only way I can decribe it: I vomited blood, burst blood vessels in my eyes, I could not keep ANYTHING down: sips of water, food, my thyroid tablets (which really complicated matters)... then you go into hospital to be hooked up to a drip when your severly dehydrated and the veins in your hand are so so poor they collapse under the needle. Then when you do puke you keep puking past anything left: its just horrendous... I'd keep stuff down for the first few days out of hospital and then the non stop vomiting would start again. They hyperemesis stopped mid way but I had what I'd dub "morning sickness" the whole way through.

TingTong don't feel bad about not understanding on the first pregnancy. How could you? My hubbie found it hard too. It hasn't put us off wanting a second one though (my baby is 18 weeks now :)). It must be so much worse with children running around though. And its great that you have been able to take the time off to be there for your wife and kids. Good luck with it because it is so so tough and emotionally aswell as physically draining for both you and your wife.

Also I'm sure you've seen it but helpher.org has some great info and sometimes its just nice to know your not alone.

Advertisement