Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann with a buggy?

Options
  • 11-09-2012 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how easy it is for a single adult to use Bus Eireann single deckers with a buggy and a baby?

Baby is under 6 months so can't stand while I put buggy in storage. Bus journey can be around an hour so can't use car seat either.

I am stuck out in Kildare without a car and family is in Dublin.

Do bus drivers ever help with getting buggy to and from storage or even allow fold up buggy on the bus rather than storage?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Could you get one of those pouch/slings to put the baby into whilst folding the buggy?

It can be tricky for the bus drivers to exit the bus at times to assist, not sure of the rules on this. Wouldn't think they'd allow fold-up buggys on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The driver should not allow the buggy on board at all but will possibly help you get it into the luggage bay or there may be other passengers willing to help.

Usually on the Kildare route there would not be much luggage so there may be room in the bay to put the buggy in on its side without the need to fold it.

You should consider bringing a car seat which will be much safer for your baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I have had some helpful bus drivers offer to assist me getting luggage/a buggy off the bus but I have it mastered at this stage now that my child is more independent. I don't think you would want to rely on them though. If you have a sling or baby carrier bring that as it does make things a lot easier. Generally I have also found fellow customers to be very kind and offer to help but as much as possible i try to have someone come with me to the bus and meet me on the other end. If this is not feasible then you may have to resort to putting a thick coat or similar on the ground and sit baby on it for the minute or two it takes to fold and put in a buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,318 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Having one of the lightweight buggies and/or a sling is possibly the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

http://www.mothercare.ie/3-position-carrier-grey.html

The carriers are prob the best, unless you travel with one of those bugaboo things, but they are chunky. Poor you it's a tough one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

foggy_lad wrote: »

You should consider bringing a car seat which will be much safer for your baby.

Can't bring a car seat as due to health and safety guidelines it is not recommended for a baby to be in a car seat more than an hour.

Thanks folks. I might try the baby in a sling, she hated it a few weeks ago but might have different ideas now. I am looking to buy a second hand lightweight fold up buggy too for the bus.

It seem such a shame that I am off work on maternity leave but stuck in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

are there no wheelchair accessible buses on the route? i thought bus eireann were all wheelchair accessible now?

Weyhey wrote: »
    Can't bring a car seat as due to health and safety guidelines it is not recommended for a baby to be in a car seat more than an hour.

I would have thought baby being in a car seat even for more than an hour is a lot safer than sat on your lap or lying on the seat next to you.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    are there no wheelchair accessible buses on the route? i thought bus eireann were all wheelchair accessible now?

You mean the buses with the space for a whheelchair where the four seats have not been removed but bunched up with the other seats leaving no legroom for anyone on brand new coaches? (51 seats squashed into the same space for 47 seats!)

This would require use of the wheelchair lift which is unlikely to happen for a buggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 SP108

Weyhey wrote: »

It would be alot safer for your child to be in a car seat even if it for over an hour. the coaches travel at speeds up to 100kph (legally) and if there was an accident your child would have a better chance being in a car seat, new buses now have isofix fittings for car seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

this is like the old fox, hen, corn crossing a river things.

Bus arrives, have the baby in a child seat.
    put child seat on the ground, put buggy in the boot of the bus,
    take child out of the child seat, put child seat in the boot.
    get on the bus and sit down holding wriggling child thinking why didn't I leave him (her) in the child seat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

Bicycles, prams and non-folding childrens’ pushchairs or buggies will be carried only if sufficient accommodation is available; they must be placed in the luggage compartment or other designated area of the vehicle and are subject to a charge as determined by Bus Éireann from time to time.On vehicles accessible to mobility impaired persons who are wheelchair users, a wheelchair must be parked in the designated area and in such a manner as the driver may direct. A wheelchair user has priority for use of this designated area at all times. One occupied childrens’ buggy or pushchair may be parked in this designated area when it is not occupied by a wheelchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

http://www.kidstravelsafely.com/mykidstime-national-road-safety-special-offer.html

It's a bit pricey but great idea. Your lad would be to small for it but might suit others.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    http://www.kidstravelsafely.com/mykidstime-national-road-safety-special-offer.html

It's a bit pricey but great idea. Your lad would be to small for it but might suit others.

You're right it is too big for my baby - such a shame their isn't a baby alternative. Definitely worth looking into for an older child, thank you RubyGirl.

Advertisement