Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interseting Take on the Story Arc for current season....SPOILERS

Options
  • 10-09-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

So reading the io9 i found this post which may read as a story arc and makes a lot of sense.. WARNING spoilers are contained...

In both instances, it was a computer network (well, a "pathweb" and an ID system) which forgot both the Doctor and the TARDIS. As of right now, you could blame it all on somebody's superhuman hacking ability, though I'm hopeful in the next episode, we'll see more direct evidence of the effect spreading to human memories. (possibly with a "who was that bowtied man?" variant, where the population of Mercy forget the Doctor the moment he leaves town)

Personally, my suspicions point straight back to The Silence.
    We already know they can make themselves memory-proof. What if they've found a way to do the same to The Doctor, and it's all part of the plan to make sure the first question never gets answered? (first remove the man, then remove the myth?) It would be a clever cheat on Moffat's part if "Doctor Who?" came to be less about knowing the Doctor's real name, and more about the man the entire universe has forgotten trying to reassert his identity.

Also, if you were wondering how Clara and Oswin could be the same person and not know the Doctor... there you go. Problem solved.

In a cruel twist of fate, when the memory erase effect finally catches up to Clara, they may be parked at Maldorian's or some futuristic space dock, at which point she just wanders off, looks up at a billboard saying "See the Stars on an Alaska Intergalactic Cruise" and subconsciously remembering her time with the Doctor, thinks "why not? It's what I've always wanted." (I imagine if she had the psychic paper on her, it'd be pretty easy to bluff her way onboard by saying "Hi, I'm Oswin... um Oswald. The new entertainment director. When do we leave?")

I also think that this current Doctor's desire to "have a gang" will make the loneliness of being completely and utterly forgotten all the more miserable. At Demons Run and The Wedding of River Song we saw the man who "only had to ask," and who could raise an army just by showing up. Now, ultimately, the Doctor will be forced to stand alone, to protect a universe that doesn't even remember him, from a legion of his greatest foes, who actually do remember him, thanks to those handy eye-drives the Silence have handed out.

Oh, and those Q.L.A. Anti-Time Device guns that were debuted at last December's Toy Fair. Yeah, I think we can see where this is headed. Especially given the blurb on the back which states:

"After the Doctor disappeared, the Cybermen and Daleks went to war across the universe. And on each world they destroyed, they left in their wake Stone Angels, picking over the dead and dying.

But the Cleric army fought back and scoured the dead worlds left after the wars, looking for the wreckage of Daleks, Cybermen, and broken Angels to create a hugely powerful 'anti-time' device.

A device part Dalek, part Cyber technology and using the Quantum signature from the Angel to trigger a Gateway to pull enemies into the time Vortex.... Erasing them from Time completely.".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

My interpretation of the whole arc since Matt and Steven took over:
    The Silence want to make sure everyone forgets the Doctor so when the Question is asked no one can answer. In Series Fnarg they tried to blow up the TARDIS and cause the cracks. Their plan was that the Doctor would sacrifice himself to seal them, thus eliminating everyone's memory of him (it almost worked). In Series Um they tried to have him killed (which they think they succeeded in doing) so that they could move on to phase two which is wiping all records of him ever having existed. The Doctor is actually playing into this plan by laying low (and inadvertently getting the Daleks' memories of him wiped) and one day he's going to go to pick up Rory and Amy and they won't know who he is or something else dramatic like that and then he'll realise something is Wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Interesting idea. I can't remember when exactly, but in one of the previous series The Doctor mentioned that the Dalek's knowledge and fear of him was his best weapon against them. Because they're afraid of him they don't shoot him on sight, which gives him a chance to talk and do something. Daleks that don't recognise him would just shoot straight away and be much harder to stop.

Advertisement