Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 10.8 mountain lion worth it?

Options
  • 10-09-2012 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Bought a Macbook pro a couple of months ago previous version not retina display. its running on 10.7. i love the mac and software have no complaints. my question is the mac worth upgrading to 10.8 was never bothered till now. whats the main advantages disadvantages to 10.8? does it run faster or slower than 10.7? any advice comments would be greatly appreciated as i don't know much about mountain lion. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

for €15.99 it def worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just a lot of new features and things that should of been in Lion in the first place. However it has lowered battery life so that's a downfall.

List of features here. There's supposedly over 200 new features added.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,848 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have an new MBP that came with 10.8. I wish I could install 10.7 on it, but it's not possible. Obviously I wouldn't upgrade if I were in your position.

I have read that 10.7 was optimised for performance and that 10.8 is a step back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm just an average computer/mac user. I find Mountain Lion far more reliable and speedier than Lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Not that its a concern for me (as mostly docked) but the battery life should be ok with next update

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/10/os-x-10-8-2-restores-notebook-battery-life-to-os-x-lion-levels/

The performance of ML is far superior to Lion (the SSD i've installed since hasn't hurt either ;-) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,848 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have an new MBP that came with 10.8. I wish I could install 10.7 on it, but it's not possible. Obviously I wouldn't upgrade if I were in your position.

I have read that 10.7 was optimised for performance and that 10.8 is a step back.

Whoops, I'm getting my versions mixed up. I meant I have Lion but would rather have Snow Leopard. Mountain Lion seems to be about adding even more fluff than is in Lion. Launch Pad - Seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

Yes but its very power hungry. Which i hear they are fixing in the next update.
    Can't come soon enough for me.

Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Bpmull wrote: »
    Bought a Macbook pro a couple of months ago previous version not retina display. its running on 10.7. i love the mac and software have no complaints. my question is the mac worth upgrading to 10.8 was never bothered till now. whats the main advantages disadvantages to 10.8? does it run faster or slower than 10.7? any advice comments would be greatly appreciated as i don't know much about mountain lion. Thanks.
    Apart from some of the extra features, the biggest thing I notice is the increase in speed. When I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion, things seemed to be slower, now that I've upgraded to Mountain Lion, things seem to be back up to original speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

bit off topic but when you have 10.8 installed from new why is the update still available to buy in the app store.

Advertisement