Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi grant and student contribution

Options
  • 10-09-2012 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, this whole susi grant is confusing me. I am eligible for the €5915, does that amount include my student contribution, about €2250. Or does it not include the student contribution fees? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Hi, this whole susi grant is confusing me. I am eligible for the €5915, does that amount include my student contribution, about €2250. Or does it not include the student contribution fees? Thanks

If you are in receipt of a grant from SUSI the state pays your student contribution. You will receive all of the €5915. Most colleges will charge around €100 for a registration fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭michelleling

Where does it say that you are eligible for €5915?..

If the SUSI told you that, then it means that thats the maximum amount they are willing to pay on your behalf. If you are qualified for Free Fees, you have nothing to worry about

By the way, that amount includes your student charge. Seems like you were means tested by then are you? Thats where they came up with that amount

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Where does it say that you are eligible for €5915?..

If the SUSI told you that, then it means that thats the maximum amount they are willing to pay on your behalf. If you are qualified for Free Fees, you have nothing to worry about

By the way, that amount includes your student charge. Seems like you were means tested by then are you? Thats where they came up with that amount

That's not the maximum they will pay, thats the amount they are going to pay you, they pay your fees also, see here http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9552/grant-levels/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭michelleling

GarIT wrote: »
    That's not the maximum they will pay, thats the amount they are going to pay you, they pay your fees also, see here http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9552/grant-levels/index.html

Well swimminggurlX was unclear with his/her comment. But anyway I hope we have answered his/her question

• Registered Users Posts: 24 swimminggurlX

Thanks for the replies and sorry for not being very clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 sammykilroy

Hi i recieved a letter yesterday saying ive been awarded the following :

Award:100% tuition fees and 100% student/ contribution ( subject to maximum 6,270)
    Maintenance grant: e0.00

Can someone who knows, please tell me how much am i getting?
    Is it lump some or installments
    If installments how much each installment?
    My fee for college is 2250.
    Im very confused with all this dont know the diff between student contribution, tuition or maintanace.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Hi i recieved a letter yesterday saying ive been awarded the following :

Award:100% tuition fees and 100% student/ contribution ( subject to maximum 6,270)
    Maintenance grant: e0.00

Can someone who knows, please tell me how much am i getting?
    Is it lump some or installments
    If installments how much each installment?
    My fee for college is 2250.
    Im very confused with all this dont know the diff between student contribution, tuition or maintanace.

Hi, this means that SUSI will pay your fees but unfortunately you won't get any money from them directly. They will send the money for your fees to the college itself but that's it.

You see the maintance grant is SUSI contributing to your living expenses like rent etc. SUSI have looked at your/ your guardian's income and have deemed that you aren't eligible for the maintance grant.

Student contribution is the fee that the government have brought in which every student is subject to wich equals to 2,250 euro that you mentioned.

Tution fees aren'[t payable by first time undergraduate students, the government pays them, this is known as "free fees". Tution fees are like the actual cost of taking the course itself e.g. teaching resources etc.

You can appeal the decision of SUSI if you feel that your income limits entitles you to a maintance grant from them and if you're thinking of this go to the appeals thread on this website to find more info.

Advertisement