Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WE F228 - Review thread

Options
  • 10-09-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Introduction:

So I've been after one of these for ever - I like the available SIG models fine, but always thought that the original non-railed frames are a nicer design. The rare Tanaka p228, if you can find one, has a reputation for being a lovely model but not practical for skirmishing so I was very interested when WE came out with the non-railed p226, and super-interested when they announced the p228. So after one of the longest teaser "coming soon" periods I've seen for an airsoft pistol, I took delivery of a F228 this morning.

Real-Steel:

The slightly chopped down version of the popular P226 pistol, the SIG-Sauer P228 is a more rounded and therefore better suited for concealed carry than it's bigger brother, without losing too much in accuracy or firepower. The standard P228 has a mag capacity of 13 rounds of 9mm, has a barrel of 3.9 inches and is not available in any other calibre. It's still in use by a number of US agencies (for example the DEA, Air Force OSI) as well as the US Army and Navy Seals, and the SAS. It is no longer manufactured, replaced by the SIG p229 when that pistol became available in 9mm as well as .40 and .357SIG.

Physical:

Airsoft Global sent me another box turned inside out; funny habit but at least it makes no difference to the packaging. It came packaged with a slim manual for the series of SIG pistols WE do, brief text available in Chinese, spanish, italian as well as english. No other accessories were supplied in the box.

228_in_box.jpg

The pistol fits my hand very well; chunky and very solid with little or no rattles. I'm still trying to figure out the construction - some of the websites selling this say it's an ABS frame and a metal slide; Airsoft Global maintain it's full metal. I'm coming down on the side of metal for the frame, mainly because there isn't a seam line anywhere on it, and it very closely resembles the finish on a Guarder metal frame I bought to upgrade my 226. At just under 800 grams it's only a touch shy of the real-steel weight unloaded.

228_left.jpg

As you've probably already guessed by now, in typical WE fashion, the slide is absolutely devoid of markings. You get a "9mm Para" inscribed on the chamber and on the left grip, the logo "F228" and on the right "SEAL TEAMSIX". No markings on the mag either. It doesn't bother me much, but for a collector it might be a downer.

228_right.jpg

Hopup is adjusted using the standard knurled wheel under the barrel. Here's where it gets interesting: the mag looked identical to my p229 mag, so I tried it - and yes, it fed and fired perfectly well with the KJ Works p229 mag. At some later stage I'll swap some slides around and try and explore how compatible other features are, but that'll do for now - a ready supply of spare mags for the new boy!

P228_and_P229.jpg

As you can see from the last picture, the barrel is threaded and with the standard adapter (which I had from my 1911 with it's threaded barrel) it takes a silencer easily. The silencer in the picture however is not an ideal choice as the guide rod projets quite far in front of the end of the barrel... it does look good though.

228_silenced.jpg

In Use

Not had a chance to range it or chrono it unfortunately. The snap back on it doing some test fires is very nice. It has a robust return spring, giving it a rapid return, without being uncontrollable, mainly because of it's compact size.

Conclusion:

So does it live up to my expectations? The answer is yes - it's pointable, it feels good and it fires very well. Combined with the threaded barrel and the compatibility with KJ Works mags it means it's skimishable straight away. If anyone's interested I'll let you know by the end of the month how I get on with it next time I'm out.

Cheers, T.C.

--- Any discussions or comments, please take 'em to the discussions thread.. --

Advertisement