Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis has been named Ireland's Tidiest Large Urban Centre.

Options
  • 10-09-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

Some good news for Ennis :)
    Abbeyshrule also claimed the award for Ireland’s Tidiest Village.

Other winners included Clonakilty, Co. Cork which received the award for Ireland’s Tidiest Small Town, Westport, Co. Mayo which received the award of Ireland’s Tidiest Large Town, and Ennis, Co. Clare which was named Ireland's Tidiest Large Urban Centre

http://www.tidytowns.ie/newsItem.php?id=597

Well done to Ennis Tidy Towns Committee they really have done excellent work throughout the years and have had some great success in recent times.

I have to say that I adore the Ennis Sculpture Trail and the flower planting on the approach roads in and out of Ennis is fabulous.

So fellow Boardsies, we know that Ennis has its issues like other large towns but what do you like about living in/visiting Ennis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I like the way the town centre is pretty self contained, there's no out of town retail parks and everything's within walking distance.

I love old fashioned shops like tierneys bike shop, even George meehans has a strange nice ennis-ishness about it, the bridge over by the rowantree, the sculptures, the characters around town

Ennis is always great for putting up hanging baskets and the likes, it makes a big difference to how the place looks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm away for a few days and I have to say I'd much prefer to have Ennis to go to that other places.

Few of the things off the top of my head (on my phone btw), some great places to walk in to eat, not enough fine dining establishments imvho, but from YOLO's to COCO and Peppermill to Rowan Tree, you have some great options available for lunch and dinner.

Some great bars, I know not every place is for everyone's liking, but if you're walking down the street almost every bar is welcoming for people to call into.

Location, a half an hour from Limerick if you want to go shopping and a half an hour from The Burren if you want to get away from it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Having a river running through the town makes it special too. I think I will always have to live near water, I think it has a calming effect (on me anyway :o). I love Bindon Street, if I won the lotto I love to buy one of the period houses there!

The new playground in the Fairgreen and Lees Road Activity Complex have also been great additions to the town.

Edit: Heading into Brogan's Pub at Christmas time and meeting up with people you haven't met in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Edit: Heading into Brogan's Pub at Christmas time and meeting up with people you haven't met in years!

That's so funny, I do that, Id barely ever go in there usually, except for the occasional mammy dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Having a river running through the town makes it special too. I think I will always have to live near water, I think it has a calming effect (on me anyway :o). I love Bindon Street, if I won the lotto I love to buy one of the period houses there!

The new playground in the Fairgreen and Lees Road Activity Complex have also been great additions to the town.

Rather less calming are the drunks, pavies and louche non-nationals hanging around the car park. Be nice if there were some cafes along the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Some good news for Ennis :)
    Abbeyshrule also claimed the award for Ireland’s Tidiest Village.

Other winners included Clonakilty, Co. Cork which received the award for Ireland’s Tidiest Small Town, Westport, Co. Mayo which received the award of Ireland’s Tidiest Large Town, and Ennis, Co. Clare which was named Ireland's Tidiest Large Urban Centre

http://www.tidytowns.ie/newsItem.php?id=597

Well done to Ennis Tidy Towns Committee they really have done excellent work throughout the years and have had some great success in recent times.

I have to say that I adore the Ennis Sculpture Trail and the flower planting on the approach roads in and out of Ennis is fabulous.

So fellow Boardsies, we know that Ennis has its issues like other large towns but what do you like about living in/visiting Ennis?
    Well done to everyone who volunteered with the tidy towns committee. Ennis is one of the nicest towns in Ireland and despite some areas for improvement it's somewhere we can be really proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The flowers in this town are always excellent. I think they can take most of the credit for the place looking as good as it does.

Agree with all the positive things said so far except the sculptures, and the eateries here are decent but not a patch on Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Great news for the town. Ennis definitely has a lot going for it, and like a poster has said there's no out-of-town retail parks (hopefully it'll stay that way). Town usually looks very well, all it needs now is pedestrianisation on O'Connell Street at least. The one thing in Ennis I really cannot fathom is that Thomond Park bridge near the Rowan Tree, totally out of place imo. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I was surfing the net last night and I found this site, which contains some amazing photographs of Ennis.

The pictures were taken by someone called 'Yellabelly' (I take it they're from Wexford :)) I've no idea who he or she is but they certainly have an fantastic eye for a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Only a single point behind the overall winner Abbeyshrule. As a lad at work said, that place is so feckin' small it'd be a doddle to keep it clean!

Well done to all concerned in Ennis. Like the previous posters mention we've a hell of a lot going for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

I'm a blow-in but honestly I would not want to live anywhere else. I feel that I've lived here in a previous life. It's the perfect town with a village appeal.I love to walk it's narrow streets & bow-ways & look at some beautiful architecture & shop fronts. Pity about the weather! lol, I suppose you can't have it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Well done Ennis! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

poppyvally wrote: »
    I'm a blow-in but honestly I would not want to live anywhere else. I feel that I've lived here in a previous life. It's the perfect town with a village appeal.I love to walk it's narrow streets & bow-ways & look at some beautiful architecture & shop fronts. Pity about the weather! lol, I suppose you can't have it all!

Sure it'd be a great place if you could put a roof on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I noticed ennis is a lot cleaner than limerick too,and recently they have stepped it up obviously they have lots of nice flower arranegments etc..But limerick have them too,its just a shame they only knock them down every once in a while..

Advertisement