Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does everyone afford their rent for college?

Options
  • 09-09-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Have you got a part time job near your college?

Parents paying for it?

How many work hours/week do you need to afford accommodation?
    Is it hard to study, attend college and work all at once?

When you pay rent, is electricity and heating included?

If i could get rent at €60/week how much will i need on top of that to afford food and electricity/heating if they are not included in the €60/week price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

In first year my parents paid for it. Last year (second year) I had a job that managed to cover all my bills. This year I got schols (a scholarship in TCD which gives you free accommodation, dinner etc), so rent isn't a concern anymore, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LLCoolConor

This year I got schols (a scholarship in TCD which gives you free accommodation, dinner etc), so rent isn't a concern anymore, thankfully.

What did you get a scholarship in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Wife. That is all.

Do you qualify for a grant or anything?

I don't see where your wife would come into paying for living near college.

but anyway yeah ill be getting a grant, not sure how much i will get and not sure if it will cover accommodation for the year. i suppose it will cover the commuting on the bus.

I don't see where your wife would come into paying for living near college.

but anyway yeah ill be getting a grant, not sure how much i will get and not sure if it will cover accommodation for the year. i suppose it will cover the commuting on the bus.

She earns I learn - we did it the other way around while she got her PhD.

You'll need around €100 a week on rent plus bills. GCD Halls (as an example) are €89 a month plus bills but you might get something cheaper. It will be very though going though. If you have the option to stay at home I would. Food a student might scrape by on a tenner a day - bit less some days.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

Where are you going to college op? I find this is a big factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I had a job through college (pre recession) but it was tough going. I worked in a supermarket at weekends and three evenings a week after college.

It is rare that you would get a rental including bills. The cost all depends on how big your space is, how many people the bills are split between, if you are including TV/ WI FI etc.

Have you got the opportunity to live in digs? That would be best on a tight budget.

will.i.am wrote: »

If it's Dublin landlord take the p!ss with rent. Jesus I though the days of students 4 to a room you wouldn't put a dog in were over I was wrong on a recent quick look.

Back in the day a few of us go together from work and got a great apartment - it's easier in a group.

will.i.am wrote: »

Carlow IT, as of now I am commuting on the bus. But I would like to stay down for 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jeanadamz

In had my scholarship since high school and I have continued that for almost three years in college. A year or so my parents had it payed since I got terminated with my scholarship, not because I did foolish act but I did not achieve the cut off grade! Well my parents know that I have worked so hard for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

What did you get a scholarship in?

Mathematics.
    http://www.tcdlife.ie/scholars/scholar/about.php

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Doriath

i took out a 6k Credit union loan and am working part time at McDonalds, hoping to get 10 hours a week at min wage.

Thats gonna cover me with maybe a little extra to go out once a week or biweekly so i dont go mad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

I have a part time job on campus which will cover expenses. If you are any good at Maths, Irish, English etc try and gives grinds in those subjects!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 arealhumanbein

I worked every day, 5pm-8pm and all day Saturdays while full-time in college - paying my own rent/bills. It was tough! I did an internship then one day a week in my final year. I got a 2.1 though but I worked hard.

It gas stood to me though, employers like it. Had two job offers in a week! :D

Advertisement