Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training tired & fatigued

Options
  • 09-09-2012 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

Would like to get some discussion going on this. What merits (if any) do people find when training tired and fatigued. Obviously it impacts on how you perform in sessions in particular key ones but is there any benefit to "pushing" through when the body is tired, not sick just tired.

Interested to hear peoples opinions and experiences.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Would like to get some discussion going on this. What merits (if any) do people find when training tired and fatigued. Obviously it impacts on how you perform in sessions in particular key ones but is there any benefit to "pushing" through when the body is tired, not sick just tired.

Interested to hear peoples opinions and experiences.

After you're weekend i'm not surprised !!!!!

Anyway for me there is a point where a rest is of more advantage to the body. That point is different for everyone. For me it after a hard weekend of work and training, when monday comes i'm better having a bath and an early night. If not i train, i'm worse later in the week and can end up missing more time and feeling like i've actually gone backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the obvious advantage to push through tiredness in training is that you will have to do that in the races...... so sometimes it is a must especially on the run .
    not every training has to be the best physiology wise sometimes the best training is also mental training, if you know you can push through something in training it makes it way easier in a race if you experience the same situation.

at the same time to push through tiredness can be the worst thing to do as it can effect long term improvement .

also it can mean many different things you can be tired at the beginning of a session but after a good easy warm up get a rythem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

As mentioned there is that mental plus of training when your fcuked, but I believe you have to know your body and why you’re tired, if it is after a 70+ hour work week then push through it, however if the tiredness and fatigue is down to training stress then I would look at what I want to achieve and will there be quality in the session, if not I change the session to a recovery day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

peter kern wrote: »
    the obvious advantage to push through tiredness in training is that you will have to do that in the races...... so sometimes it is a must especially on the run .
    not every training has to be the best physiology wise sometimes the best training is also mental training, if you know you can push through something in training it makes it way easier in a race if you experience the same situation.

at the same time to push through tiredness can be the worst thing to do as it can effect long term improvement .

also it can mean many different things you can be tired at the beginning of a session but after a good easy warm up get a rythem.

In what way Peter?

Agree with other points you made re the mental side of it.

if you are on the edge getting ill. I think pushing through is and absolute no no.
    pushing through and tired body too often in too close intervals is a no no.
    and you dont push through tiredness because your ego tells you so as you cant deal to be dropped in agroup right.

and there was a quite good post above with the 70 hour example
    if you cant get the rest ...........
    so if you push through tiredness you need to compensate it with more
    RECOVERY. and an easy excercise that some call junk miles can be golden
    and an key set done at the wrong time can be junk miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ir666

If I feel too tired to drive, then I will skip the session.
    That's my advanced test!

Sometimes I will gear up and start the session feeling tired. If I don't feel better pretty quick I will take it real easy and perhaps cut things short.

I find that I quite often feel sh1te during the the warmup for a 5k.
    Then I could run a pb.

This is one of the trickiest things about training .
    If one waits until your feeling super fresh and niggle free then there won't be too many training sessions done. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I was told that if I felt physically tired I should do a planned session but if I felt mentally tired I should skip it. I find if I break that rule and train when my head isn't in it, that is a junk session.

Training when tired does have a positive mental effect. It shows that you can push past fatigue and work well anyway. But I can only do it continuously if the intensity is low. High impact stuff I simply have to rest and recover properly from.

Oryx wrote: »
    I was told that if I felt physically tired I should do a planned session but if I felt mentally tired I should skip it. I find if I break that rule and train when my head isn't in it, that is a junk session.

Training when tired does have a positive mental effect. It shows that you can push past fatigue and work well anyway. But I can only do it continuously if the intensity is low. High impact stuff I simply have to rest and recover properly from.

Peronally I would not agree totally with the first paragraph as i think that really depends on many factors. However it could be the right way for you and I dont know you.
    its a bit if some people tell me they are tired, i go yes sure. if other people tell me they are tired thats my alarm bells going off instantly. So the person that told you that could have a very good point in your case. But with other people it could be the other way round. different people have a v different tiredness threshold and perception.
    Generally speaking the best way is to adapt sessions in both cases you mention ( most of the time ) to make them meaning full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

imho

"What merits (if any) do people find when training tired and fatigued" - as Peter already said, this is the state you're likely to find yourself in during your race at some point.

'Pushing through'
    I still believe in 'Always start a session'**. Dial it back if necessary. Everyone is different so it's the individual that makes the call based on how they feel but direct and clear feedback to a coach that prescribed the session is arguably mutually beneficial. Its as useful to know 'why' a session wasn't addressed - even if that includes the words 'I couldn't f*cking breath Im so sick' ;)

With Barca so close, your coach will have a more informed opinion on this than most but your feedback to him/her is key. There can't be many key sessions left in the plan. An increase in work hours, a reduction in sleep hours can take down the best of us champ ;)

** although since swimming is non-impact just being in the pool can help recovery from bike/running and helps maintain a feel for the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

My take on things is this. Firstly specifics. Define training, define fatigued and what time of year is it.

Sometimes pushing through fatigue is the best thing you can do, sometimes the worst. Its all about the specifics.

I believe its the winter when fatigue needs to be faced down. But only when doing so has specific goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Was thinking about this and I see a difference between 'tiredness' caused by work, disturbed sleep (kids) and other life commitments and 'fatigue' caused by overtraining, sickness, stress etc.

I think you can train through 'tiredness' making you mentally strong. Training through 'fatigue' is just mental and more likely to cause a long term sickness or injury.

Tiredness needs sleep to overcome, fatigue needs proper rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 IronmanJNR

tunney wrote: »
    My take on things is this. Firstly specifics. Define training, define fatigued and what time of year is it.

Sometimes pushing through fatigue is the best thing you can do, sometimes the worst. Its all about the specifics.

I believe its the winter when fatigue needs to be faced down. But only when doing so has specific goals.

Well said

Advertisement