Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Breast Pumps

Options
  • 09-09-2012 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Does anyone know where to buy a new affordable double breast pump that's electrical! I've been looking in Boots so far and Mothercare! Really expensive!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I recommend a medela one, think mine was 69 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I recommend a medela one, think mine was 69 euro.

Where did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I got be medula swing in tony kielys (Mothercare also do them!) it's a single pump so only one boob at a time and is about €140 - found it worth the investment too and used it for both children & have it packed away as its still perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

I got the medela pump in mothercare for 79.99. Cant believe it was 140 in tony kiely! Worth the investment its very good apart from being a little noisy

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Moonbeam and October; are you talking about

this one: http://www.mothercare.ie/medela-mini-electric-breast-pump.html

rather than

this one: http://www.mothercare.ie/medela-swing-electric-breast-pump.html

?

Obvs the first one is the "mini" one and is *much* cheaper, less than half the price of the "Swing" which I think is the one highly1111 bought.

I have no clue what the real difference between these two types / models are, so would appreciate any guidance! Don't mind spending an extra 100 quid if it's really worth it, but obvs would prefer to save the money if the "mini" one works grand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

The mini one is the one I have. Not sure what the difference between them is as its the same size bottle? :confused: The mini one is great anyway, I'm just after pumping and got a full bottle from each breast!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got the mini but would have got the swing if it was cheaper:)

The avent manual one is useless.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I got the mini but would have got the swing if it was cheaper:)

Thanks Moonbeam - can you tell me why you would have got the swing? I can't understand what the difference is (other than the look of them and the price!)

It s easier to use with a better motor.

Better motor means quicker? What sort of time difference are we talking?

(Sorry to bombard you, this is just the best first-hand advice I've gotten so far and planning to buy the thing this week!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

I found the swing good but then i only used the swing i can't really compare it with the mini for you. With the swing the speed very much depended on my flow. The book i had recommend you to think about the baby or look at the baby while pumping, i thought this sounded a bit wishy washy but i was struggling to get more than a few drops out so i tried it and i quickly learned that if i could get in any ways emotional with thoughts of baby/birth (not hard too do) then the milk came flowing really fast and i could get 6oz in 15mins. This will be different for everyone.

By the way i don't think they recommend pumping in the first couple of weeks until your supply is established so maybe this is something you could buy after baby is here when you know you are definitely going to continue b'feeding for a while.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

The motor on the swing is more powerful but it tends to last a bit longer too.The mini is meant fr occasional use.If you google for one v the other there is loads of info.

Advertisement