Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB's - will .20 go further than .25?

Options
  • 09-09-2012 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

As the title says, will the lighter bb go further than the .25's I've been using since I started in this hobby? Or will they just get blown around by our windy climate?

Just wondering as I've found that while my heavier bb's track straight at a target, they appear to fall short while my opponent's bb's can make it to me. It's not that he's using a better gun as its a G36 rental that probably gets a lot more use than my G&G M4.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

the .2's will go a little further than the .25's generally, however the the .25's will generally travel straighter, less effected by the wind.
    on a side note the ks g36's that some sites use as rentals have fantastic range for a "stock" gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Short answer: yes, but not usefully so.

Long (very long) answer: The Airsoft Trajectory Project

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

I have personally found that the heavier BB's tend to go further, due to them retaining their momentum and velocity far better than the 0.20g BB.

By further, I do not mean usably so - just that the BB will land a little further than the 0.20g however the problem with this is that unless you have a good hop up installed (eg R-HOP etc) then overhopping heavier BB's can be much more difficult, or not possible at all! If you cannot get the BB to overhop, you're just not going to get the range on it.

In practise the heavier BB's are more predictable in their flight path, and hits are more easily felt (more weight behind the shot). Their effective range (key part) is less than that of a 0.20g but its total range is usually marginally more. However all that matters is consistent effective range - 0.25g BB are far better as they're less susceptable to the wind blowing them off course, and in GBB pistols you'll see noticeable improvement on stability of shot.

PS: Typing on phone - there are likely tonnes of mistakes! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 chownsy

you have so many factors to take in.

1. rental gun will have a worn in hop rubber and its been shown that a worn in hop rubber can usually deliver longer ranges unless your using a decent hop rubber like the Guarder or Madbull ones.

2. the brand of BB's. In my VSR with a 6.00mm barrel one 0.20g bb will go further than another due to it being more consistant.

3. If you have the hop set right so that you have it flat for 40m then rises for 10m and then falls after that then you will find a 0.25g will be able to match the range and be more effective.

Hope that sheds some light on the matter.

P.S my one of 4 VSR's (UK user here) Running 6.01mm barrel at 500fps on CO2 will over hop a 0.40g bb out to 80+ meters verified by myself being shot in the back by a friend

One day I will make a video of the beast in action.

Advertisement