Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tús Scheme Help?

Options
  • 09-09-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Not sure where to post this for the best response. Here's my dilemma; I applied for a course in college in Galway this year for September. I didn't get accepted onto a full time course, but got offered a place on an Access course, which on completion will guarantee me a place on my chosen course next year.

I'm currently on JSA, for the last 13 months, and have received a letter from Tús saying I need to apply and the rest. I'm from Waterford, so would be getting the bus to Galway every Tuesday, staying at a friends and coming home on Fridays, sometimes Saturdays as the course I'm doing is one Saturday a month.

Problem is, the course is an evening course, 7-10 Tuesdays and 7-9 Thursdays. I have paid for the course myself, which was €60 for people on Job Seekers. If I get cut, or if I was forced to take this work placement scheme, I won't qualify for BTEA next year, or have my fees paid for in college which will seriously hamper my plans of helping me get OFF THE DOLE (which is what they want me to do, but in their own way, which will result in NO qualification at all, nor will I be eligible for Back To Education Allowance next year!) and into a full time career.

I have told Tús, and ticked the option saying I do not want to be interviewed, told them I have been accepted into an evening course, that I will be travelling up and down each week and that this course will benefit me a lot more than a work placement scheme.

Will my benefits be now cut altogether or what will happen? If that happens and I don't qualify for BTEA next year, I can't afford to get into full time education for a degree in what I wanted to do for years. Anyone else in a similar situation? If they cut me, or take me off JSA, this is going to mean after the work placement, I'll have to go back on the dole. It also means, I won't qualify for BTEA as I have to be on JSA for 9 months, and can't apply to go to college next year.

What a spanner in the works :(

Any help/info appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

You are meant to inform your employment office if you are doing any courses. You can get dole and do part time courses but you need permission first. You need to inform them of the situation, otherwise they will cut your dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Bluegrass

No doubt it will be absolute hardship. And most likely cost me my eligibility for BTEA next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Why would doing TUS disqualify you from BTEA next year. Can you link me to where it says that? Cos I wouldn't have thought it would, same way doing a FAS course doesn't disqualify you

It states I will be signing off JSA and doing the work placement, and to receive BTEA I must be on JSA 9 months.

Bluegrass wrote: »
    It states I will be signing off JSA and doing the work placement, and to receive BTEA I must be on JSA 9 months.

True but you sign off JSA to go on FAS and you are still eligible. If you read the eligibility criteria for BTEA you will probably see TUS mentioned

Yep here it is from the following website:

http://www.welfare.ie/en/operationalguidelines/pages/bte_all.aspx

1.12 Other Schemes that count towards the qualifying period for BTEA
    Periods spent on the BTEA, Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS), Full-time FÁS/Fáilte Ireland Training Course, FIT, Community Employment Scheme, Part-time Job Incentive Scheme, Community Services Programme, Rural Social Scheme, Tus, National Internship,WPP, Back to Work Enterprise Allowance, Short-term Enterprise Allowance, FÁS Job Initiative or Job Assist may count towards the qualifying period for BTEA purposes. This provision applies only in cases where the BTEA applicant was in receipt of a relevant Social Welfare payment immediately prior to or after participation in any of the above schemes.

• Advertisement

Do you know if I applied for Part Time Education Option, would I be able to apply for BTEA next year then? I'm thinking of applying for that, as I told Tús I wish not to be interviewed due to my circumstances, but if they were to give me a work placement in Galway I would take that, although I didn't mention that on the form.

Do you know if I applied for Part Time Education Option, would I be able to apply for BTEA next year then? I'm thinking of applying for that, as I told Tús I wish not to be interviewed due to my circumstances, but if they were to give me a work placement in Galway I would take that, although I didn't mention that on the form.

As long as you are still in receipt of one of the eligible payments from DSP then yes you would qualify for BTEA next year. So if you can still claim jobseekers and do your evening access course then yep you would qualify.

Going to the Citizens Info centre at 2 I'll see what they advise too, thanks for your help :):) much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 AP McCoy

Any update?

So Citizens Information wasn't on the day I dropped in (typical). So unsure of what to do.

Does anyone have a contact number for Tús so I could explain my situation and they know what I mean when they get around to my letter? I know I should inform Social Welfare about my part time course, but since I'll be travelling up and down to Galway each week, they're bound to ask questions and even my application on JSA as I'll be travelling each week and therefore they might use that as "not available for fulltime work"?

Should I just wait it out until I hear more or should I go in and explain my case in the Social Welfare office? If they do cut me, or decide I'm not eligible for JSA I'll lose what little rent allowance I'm receiving and effectively be homeless when I return home.

I cannot afford to move to Galway as I have no way of coming up with a deposit and months rent. I didn't ask, nor expect any extra benefits or expenses paid, and got onto this course myself without asking anything extra from Welfare.

Should I try contact Tús, or should I go to Social Welfare. I know the PC thing to do would be follow the rules but I cannot afford to be cut, and cannot afford to lose anything as I am trying my best to get OFF JSA!!

I could do my 19.5 hours of Tús in Galway the two days I am there as my classes are at night, if I could plea that case maybe? As long as it doesn't affect me getting BTEA next year, but the thing is, Tús is a 12 month programme. I wont be able to receive BTEA while on Tús and in a years time is when I'll need to apply for BTEA and cannot attend college if I'm to finish out the Tús programme!

My head is wrecked, all opinions and help absolutely more than welcome.

Thanks

• Advertisement

So Citizens Information wasn't on the day I dropped in (typical). So unsure of what to do.

Does anyone have a contact number for Tús so I could explain my situation and they know what I mean when they get around to my letter? I know I should inform Social Welfare about my part time course, but since I'll be travelling up and down to Galway each week, they're bound to ask questions and even my application on JSA as I'll be travelling each week and therefore they might use that as "not available for fulltime work"?

Should I just wait it out until I hear more or should I go in and explain my case in the Social Welfare office? If they do cut me, or decide I'm not eligible for JSA I'll lose what little rent allowance I'm receiving and effectively be homeless when I return home.

I cannot afford to move to Galway as I have no way of coming up with a deposit and months rent. I didn't ask, nor expect any extra benefits or expenses paid, and got onto this course myself without asking anything extra from Welfare.

Should I try contact Tús, or should I go to Social Welfare. I know the PC thing to do would be follow the rules but I cannot afford to be cut, and cannot afford to lose anything as I am trying my best to get OFF JSA!!

I could do my 19.5 hours of Tús in Galway the two days I am there as my classes are at night, if I could plea that case maybe? As long as it doesn't affect me getting BTEA next year, but the thing is, Tús is a 12 month programme. I wont be able to receive BTEA while on Tús and in a years time is when I'll need to apply for BTEA and cannot attend college if I'm to finish out the Tús programme!

My head is wrecked, all opinions and help absolutely more than welcome.

Thanks

Well I think Tus jobs are only allocated in certain areas and im presuming they offered it in your home county and not Galway. And unlikely you would be allowed work 19.5 hours in two days. So it wouldn't be much of a runner. Welfare are clamping down hard on people who are working or doing courses without informing them. You risk losing everything if they find out and you are cut off. I would call into your local office and ask to speak to someone pronto. They aren't all ogres.

Who would I ask to speak to?

You can come off the Tus early to start college. It is allowed. And you will be entitled to BTEA next year after being on Tus this year. It is one of the qualifyin payments. But with your course in Galway I don't think you'd manage Tus aswell so you need to go into your DSP office about the course and they'll let you know whether they are ok for you to do it and therefore exempt you from Tus

Well I would ring them and try to make an appointment with one of the facilitators or inspectors. Mention that you are hoping to do a part-time course. They will know who you should speak to about it. You really need to sit down with them and discuss the options you mentioned.

But if they refuse to let me do this course I'm screwed..

But if they refuse to let me do this course I'm screwed..

And your equally screwed if they stop all your payments. All that you can do is try to reason with them. I'm sure they would rather you do a useful course than sit around twiddling your thumbs.

True, but it's only an evening course. Would it be more wise to meet an officer in there, or leave it and just try and get a room in Galway and switch my address to Galway? And then if Tús contact me I'd be available to do the scheme up there until next September...

What to do :/

I know it's a right pain. Might be just easier to get a room in Galway. At least then you would be able tick the 'available to work' box. But like I said, you are entitled to do a part-time course and keep your payments. It's perfectly legit. Whether you decide to inform Welfare is up to you.

I know, classes start next Tuesday as well. I reckon changing my address to Galway if I could rent a room would be the easiest option, don't you think? And inform the office up there I'm doing an evening course and apply for Part Time Education Option? I really don't know whether I should make an appointment to see a social welfare officer now or not. Could be more hassle than it's worth, and the room I was originally meant to be renting I can't move to that address now because her benefits will be cut too so have to find a legit room. Anyone wanna trade places with me :D

Advertisement