Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

galaxy SOT kayak

Options
  • 09-09-2012 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

anyone got any experience with the "galaxy" Sit-on-top kayak.?

its on sale on ebay, nice price for complete package, if of course they are any good! Done some googling but unable to locate any independent reviews. anyone used one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭BBones

anyone got any experience with the "galaxy" Sit-on-top kayak.?

its on sale on ebay, nice price for complete package, if of course they are any good! Done some googling but unable to locate any independent reviews. anyone used one?

I got a tandem one a couple of months ago.
    Great value for what you get. Ideal for someone starting out such as myself.It arrived 2 days after ordering it. I've used it on the canals, the Boyne and been over to dalkey island on it. A very stable platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

thanks for reply. they claim to be 5mm thick as opposed to the regular 2.5-3.0. and yet the weight is only 22kg. so that makes me a little suspicious. However all the feedback is positive and seems like they have sold loads.

does your boat track well in the water? and stable? (beginner here also!)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭BBones

thanks for reply. they claim to be 5mm thick as opposed to the regular 2.5-3.0. and yet the weight is only 22kg. so that makes me a little suspicious. However all the feedback is positive and seems like they have sold loads.

does your boat track well in the water? and stable? (beginner here also!)
    Not sure of hull thickness. As far as tracking goes because mine is a tandem it tends to drift slightly but that is probably due to inexperienced paddlers. I' just fitted a rudder I made and have still to try it out. Stability wise you'd have to try hard to topple it. You can sit sideways on it no problem. I don't think you'll get better value. Brand new delivered to your door for cheaper than most second hand ones. Like I said I'm a newbie and for what it's worth I have no complaints:-}

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ed Moroney

BBones wrote: »
    Not sure of hull thickness. As far as tracking goes because mine is a tandem it tends to drift slightly but that is probably due to inexperienced paddlers. I' just fitted a rudder I made and have still to try it out. Stability wise you'd have to try hard to topple it. You can sit sideways on it no problem. I don't think you'll get better value. Brand new delivered to your door for cheaper than most second hand ones. Like I said I'm a newbie and for what it's worth I have no complaints:-}

Hi guys, I'm also considering the one man angling galaxy kayak, mainly for pike fishing on lakes. Ideally was looking at a wilderness or trident models but better to start off with a galaxy and upgrade as I go.

Any updates/further reviews on the galaxy?

BBones wrote: »

Hi guys, I'm also considering the one man angling galaxy kayak, mainly for pike fishing on lakes. Ideally was looking at a wilderness or trident models but better to start off with a galaxy and upgrade as I go.

Any updates/further reviews on the galaxy?

• Advertisement

Just an update on this one folks.

The Galaxy SOT Kayak.

After making a few enquiries and talking to a few lads in the know, basically the Galaxy SOT Kayaks are very similar, in fact almost identical to the http://www.islandersitontops.com/calypso-sport.htm Calypso Sport Yak. I seen one ion the flesh the other day and compared it with specs etc on the Galaxy, almost identical in everyway. You just seem to get more bang for your buck (euro) with the galaxy.

I priced up the Calypso above in a shop the other day and it was 499eur for the yak alone. After a bit of banther, I got the paddle for free. BUT, if I buy the galaxy I get, rod holder, seat, paddle etc... for less than 460 (65 of that is delivery from wales.)

Spoke to the chap who distributes them from wales too, very helpful guy called Graham, he fishes for bass etc on the coat in wales using the Galaxy. He sent me on pics of fish caught from the yak, the fish itself didnt overy concern me, but the way the yak sat in water etc....

So tu summarise, I will more than likely purchase the galaxy, a little bit more research needed, I know lads will tell me to go for a ocean make etc...but finances just dont allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brewyn

Hi all you kayakers. :)

I have 2 of the galaxy kayaks and find them to be a nice kayak with some modification.

The kayak is very nice and light to carry on your own, easy to paddle although it does take the odd double paddle stroke to stay on track, probably would benefit from a rudder but the standard rudder would be difficult to fit.

The factory fitted fittings are not water tight and could do with a spot of silicone.

The hatches are not great and so far on our several trips we have been unable to use them as they seem to be so hard to turn, I think this has something to do with the dry liners provided with them causing friction and making them hard to open.

Also I believe the weight advice is wrong of 150kg, I'm 19 and a half stone and without the scupper bungs in place the kayak drops to the rim being flush with the water, and if you paddle fast, the rear actually drops below water level, and all this is without any fishing gear onboard.

Compared to the ocean kayak this is easier and quicker to unload single handed on and off the car.

with a few easy modification then this is the perfect kayak and a great price, but think the tandem might be better for the larger person.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭older i get better i was

Hi Guys
    Have just purchased two of these kayaks, the cruz sot models, for some summer fun in wexy curracloe and surrounds, and some fishing, am new to this anyone got advice on foof racks etc, much appreciated, thanx.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brewyn

First thing I would do mate is check out all fixtures and fitting are watertight, fill them up with water and see if they leak, and if they do where from.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

Ed Moroney wrote: »
    Just an update on this one folks.

The Galaxy SOT Kayak.

After making a few enquiries and talking to a few lads in the know, basically the Galaxy SOT Kayaks are very similar, in fact almost identical to the http://www.islandersitontops.com/calypso-sport.htm Calypso Sport Yak. I seen one ion the flesh the other day and compared it with specs etc on the Galaxy, almost identical in everyway. You just seem to get more bang for your buck (euro) with the galaxy.

I priced up the Calypso above in a shop the other day and it was 499eur for the yak alone. After a bit of banther, I got the paddle for free. BUT, if I buy the galaxy I get, rod holder, seat, paddle etc... for less than 460 (65 of that is delivery from wales.)

Spoke to the chap who distributes them from wales too, very helpful guy called Graham, he fishes for bass etc on the coat in wales using the Galaxy. He sent me on pics of fish caught from the yak, the fish itself didnt overy concern me, but the way the yak sat in water etc....

So tu summarise, I will more than likely purchase the galaxy, a little bit more research needed, I know lads will tell me to go for a ocean make etc...but finances just dont allow.

Hi Ed!

Excuse the punt 'I'm in the same boat as you'!
    I currently looking at the Galaxy fishing Kayak, yeah great value (Super Value), also this guy is well setup and comes with a warranty!

Did you eventually buy the 'Galaxy Kayak'?

I really looking for feedback before I purchase!!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Mike myself and another bordsie are thinking about buying two of theses. We are trying to get a deal on shipping if we can fancy chipping in if we get all 3 shipped together?

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Yeah, Please send a PM!
    Thanks

Hi Mike

You must of missed me by about 10mins.....I ordered them this morning.....sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Miles62

I'll post some pictures of the boats we brought soon, hopefully get oit om them this monday evening.

So far they look grand, mine got bit of knock and had some slight damage to the side wall durning transport but nothing that will stop me getting on the water.

Graham was a top bloke, done us a deal for two boats not a whole lot bit still knocked a few quid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭patch

Any update from the newer owners here guys?
    Debating purchasing a galaxy myself.
    Not sure which version suits me, I'm a beginner.
    Hoping to use it for river and surf.
    The cruz fishing model seems to tick all the boxes, but there seems to be a different hull on a couple of models.

We have had about 4 trips so far, today being one.

Boats are ok, grand for starting out. Few small issues.

When they where delivered mine had a chunk taking out of the side due to transport.
    One boat is missing the GPS holder along with 3 cleats, I have been in touch with Graham about this but he hasn't being very helpful so far.
    Some of the fixings let in water, this is solved simply by applying some silicone.

We have had about 4 trips so far, today being one.

Boats are ok, grand for starting out. Few small issues.

When they where delivered mine had a chunk taking out of the side due to transport.
    One boat is missing the GPS holder along with 3 cleats, I have been in touch with Graham about this but he hasn't being very helpful so far.
    Some of the fixings let in water, this is solved simply by applying some silicone.

Cheers, would they suit someone 6 foot? Would you say they'd manage on rougher waters?
    Good to know that the guy isn't helpful with after-sales, I guess a full inspection before taking delivery will be in order...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mojo1979

Purchased a galaxy tandem 2+1 pro fisher. Not bad for the price. Unfortunately the 2 rear rod holders came away from the fixings after 2 short trips. The waterproof screw on lids are murder tight to undo. You cannot use the kayak 2 up with the supper plugs removed, as water just shoots in making bailing out a right royal pain in the buttocks. Basically the kayak cannot self bail. The seats that came with it had weak stitching on the webbing that holds the seats to the eyelets. Am a little dubious as to the quality of the kayak.

mojo1979 wrote: »
    Purchased a galaxy tandem 2+1 pro fisher. Not bad for the price. Unfortunately the 2 rear rod holders came away from the fixings after 2 short trips. The waterproof screw on lids are murder tight to undo. You cannot use the kayak 2 up with the supper plugs removed, as water just shoots in making bailing out a right royal pain in the buttocks. Basically the kayak cannot self bail. The seats that came with it had weak stitching on the webbing that holds the seats to the eyelets. Am a little dubious as to the quality of the kayak.

I was about 10mins away from getting one of these!! In the mean time I bought a second hand reputable make! I would suggest to do some research on these kayaks unfortunately it is not so good, but it’s the money that kept me drawing back to getting it! You can save a lot of money, but is it worth the risk, especially on the open sea and even worst if you have kids that can kayak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 mojo1979

Hey mike. Like I said not bad for the price, but I wish I had done the same as you and purchased a used quality manufactured kayak. Always boils down to the money sadly. Caught a nice 3 pound plaice from it on Monday, so kind of still like the galaxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hashey

MikeOis wrote: »
    I was about 10mins away from getting one of these!! In the mean time I bought a second hand reputable make! I would suggest to do some research on these kayaks unfortunately it is not so good, but it’s the money that kept me drawing back to getting it! You can save a lot of money, but is it worth the risk, especially on the open sea and even worst if you have kids that can kayak.

hi mike just wondering where u got your 2nd hand kayak and what brand- have been debating a tandem fishing kayak on ebay but have been put off by the poor quality reviews- the price was tempting tho

hashey wrote: »
    hi mike just wondering where u got your 2nd hand kayak and what brand- have been debating a tandem fishing kayak on ebay but have been put off by the poor quality reviews- the price was tempting tho

Ocean Malibu XL 2, I got it on Donedeal!! Its great with the kids on it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Myself and jonnykitedude bought the Galaxys a couple of month back and so far so good. We've been out if fairly bad weather and the yaks behaved well. Easy enough to paddle and light enough for one man to lift up onto the roof rack. No complaints so far. They are also reasonably easy to flip back up the right way if you're unfortunate enough to get capsized.

It seems anybody buying a galaxy kayak needs to make sure and check all fittings for water leaks and overall strength.
    There are one or two horror stories about these, found with a google.

patch wrote: »
    It seems anybody buying a galaxy kayak needs to make sure and check all fittings for water leaks and overall strength.
    There are one or two horror stories about these, found with a google.

Well there's one story in particular doing the rounds and only recently the real truth came out. Seems the guy was using heavy duty ratchet straps to lash the yak to his roof rack and he was tightening the bejaysus out of them. In doing so he buckled the yak causing the rivets to pop. He also made the silly mistake of tying to a buoy at low tide and when the tide rose the yak went under. He tried to climb to the front of the yak to untie himself and was hit by a wave and dunked.

Well there's one story in particular doing the rounds and only recently the real truth came out. Seems the guy was using heavy duty ratchet straps to lash the yak to his roof rack and he was tightening the bejaysus out of them. In doing so he buckled the yak causing the rivets to pop. He also made the silly mistake of tying to a buoy at low tide and when the tide rose the yak went under. He tried to climb to the front of the yak to untie himself and was hit by a wave and dunked.

Very interesting!. If true, it's pretty bad form of the guy and his wife, making so much noise if it's his own fault.

Then again, it's no harm to instill a bit of fear in novice kayakers while highlighting what *could* happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hashey

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=30913.0

is this the story you are referring to?

hashey wrote: »

That's the one.
    It would seem the guy lied on that thread? What an idiot.
    That story was left there for months, which made it look very believable.
    I'd imagine he'll be in a spot of bother with the company in question.
    I for one would most likely have bought a galaxy, until reading that thread.

• Advertisement

For anyone interested, here's my Galaxy in the surf at Laytown yesterday. Despite how they look in the video, the waves were MASSIVE :D

Advertisement