Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi USB ports

Options
  • 09-09-2012 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

I have a MacAir and only one USB port available. I need to connect 3 different USBs to the computer at any one time. Every multi connection I buy won't work. Can anyone recommend a solution to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

you will likely need a powered USB hub to power more than one device at a time unless they are low powered. IT really depends on the devices you are plugging in. if they are three bus powered hard disks then you'll need a higher powered HUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Above is correct. And for clarity, powered meaning the usb hub has it's own power supply that you plug into the wall. Got one the other day for €20 but that was in the third shop I tried, the others just didn't have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭silenceisfoo

thanks guys. any recommendations to which one i should get? not entirely sure what i would be looking for to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Something like this I reckon

Powered USB Hub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I did some googling before I got mine. As usual lots of conflicting reports. One guy saying he has never been let down by one make, then someone else comes on and says that they tried that make repeatedly and always had problems.

I got a Belkin purely because after going to three electronics store it was the only one I found. Buy whichever one you come across and keep the receipt.

Actually, maybe you are buying online and will get a choice. I suppose it would be a good idea to have a look at Dabs and Komplett to get an idea of makes and prices. I'm sure both sites will have have something. (And Argos, PC world etc.)

Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement