Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allowing AP to passthrough Netopia router

Options
  • 09-09-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I'll explain my set-up:

Phone point > Netopia router > Cat5 > Linksys WRT610N as AP

The house is effectively split in two, one house served by the Netopia router, and the other by the Linksys AP. I'm in the half served by the Linksys. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to tell the Netopia router to effectively give the Linksys a free reign on things. I don't want any of the settings (security, nat, QoS, DMZ etc) to be applied to the Linksys.

Hope this has made some sense. Any help would be great. Trying to maximise my connection for streaming and gaming.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If it's an AP, an AP doesn't route, therefore no security, firewall, QOS etc. All routing and security etc would be handled by the Netopia

Edit: I see it's a router that you have in AP mode, if that's the case disable the firewall, dhcp and upnp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭peejay1986

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    If it's an AP, an AP doesn't route, therefore no security, firewall, QOS etc. All routing and security etc would be handled by the Netopia

It's set as an AP but I do have security set on it. Completely separate security to the Netopia.

I've put the Cat5 cable in to the WAN port on the Linksys, rather than the LAN port. I've read that that apparently that gives me more control over things. But it still feels like the Netopia's settings are being applied.

If I added the AP's IP address as a DMZ on the Netopia, would that effectively allow it to sail through?

See my edit to post 2, also, connect to lan not wan

See my edit to post 2, also, connect to lan not wan

Sorry, bit of a novice question but why? What's the advantage?

I should explain what I'm trying to do. The Netopia WiFi is primarily used by my grandparents so I want to leave that with medium-to-strict security as they don't have great knowledge of using the internet.

The Linksys is in my half of the house and I wanted that to have low security and various ports open for better gaming/streaming speeds.

Unfortunately there are no phone points in my half of the house so I have to use an AP rather than a Router. I've also bought Powerline adapters for my half. These will run directly in to the static devices, such as Xbox, Apple TV etc.

A router routes from lan to wan, the 4 lan ports are switched which is what you want.

• Advertisement

A router routes from lan to wan, the 4 lan ports are switched which is what you want.

Ah right thanks. So I'll swap the cable back from the WAN port to the LAN port.

With this will it be able to bypass the Netopia's Firewall settings?

peejay1986 wrote: »
    With this will it be able to bypass the Netopia's Firewall settings?

No, it will be subject to the Netopia firewall. You can only have one security profile, not different profiles for individual ports.

Advertisement