Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggies, Travel Systems etc -Do's and Don'ts

Options
  • 09-09-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I know lots of new mums to be like me are totally bamboozled by the amount and types or buggies there are on the market. Do you think we could start a list of the important features or things to look out for? For example, I thought it was important that the carseat could click into the base of the buggy but having talked to someone else, they said it's not really. I just want enough information to begin going to mothercare etc. Right now I don't even know what I need to ask. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gravid

My sister, who bought a brand new high spec expensive travel system for her baby was very disappointed with the lack of spring shock absorption and advised us to ensure that the pram should have that... (probably depending on where you live and what kind of roads you'll be walking on)

My mother has advised me several times to make sure that it is possible to have the baby turned towards you, rather than away, mainly for peace of mind so you can see the baby without walking around to the front. But perhaps they are all like that these days.

I havent bought our one yet, so looking forward to read more advice on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Personally the fact that the car seat can click directly onto the buggy is really important... If I run into shops for 10 minutes the thoughts of waking up C (because she would wake up if I moved her!) would mean I probably wouldn't do it!!

I think a lot depends what you want to use the buggy for: for me I wanted a light frame that was easy to get in and out of the boot, and a 3 wheeler because I knew it would mostly used when shopping :D I got the baby elegance beep which I love: except the basket. It's tiny! Also the car seat clicking in and out was very important too... I didn't care about the suspension I won't be using it on country roads etc

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The most important thing to do is to work out exactly how you want to use your pram the most. The main thing I want mine for is 'off-roading.' Under normal circumstances I'm chief dog walker in our house and I usually walk the dogs along rough riverbanks and through woodland pathways. The most important things I need from a pram are 3 big inflatable tyres and great suspension while being extremely light and manoeuvrable. I also wanted a dark plain colour that's easy to wipe down and a carrycot attachment as for as long as he fits comfortably in it (6 months on average) I plan on using the cot for daytime sleeps, so I can wheel him to wherever I am in the house or have him sleep on walks. On the other hand the chassis of my pram is a bit of a behemoth so wouldn't suit anyone who mainly wants it for getting around a busy town/city or who has a small car boot. I'll use it for shopping too, but if that was my main requirement of a pram I'd have chosen a very different one.

My other tip is to think carefully about if you really want a full travel system including car seat as that can actually be a false economy long-term as the car seats don't actually suit the baby for very long needing to be replaced with a seat for bigger babies/toddlers in under a year. It worked out a lot cheaper for me to buy a 2 in 1 pram (carrycot/buggy) and a separate car seat that will do from newborn to 4 years. This also meant that I got the exact car seat I wanted in terms of safety and convenience and I shouldn't have to replace it until I'm switching over to a booster seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I had no idea what I wanted until I started looking!

I found the right system for me on adverts, at a fraction of the new price.
    The car seat has a base in the car, or can be used without it (in OH's car for example) and clicks onto the chassis.
    It also had a carrycot (which I've only used once outside the house) and the bigger seat bit which reclines back to a lying down position. It also folds up easily.

It's not perfect, it doesn't fold as one, and the chassis is probably a bit big. But I know from my siblings experiences that as soon as the child is old enough I will start using the lightweight umbrella folding pushchair. Even the people we bought our system off said they started using one, despite spending hundreds of euros on this pram.

Think about where you're mainly going to be using it, what you want it to do and more importantly how much you have to spend.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

go look in the shops.
    Make a list of what you need.
    Google them and then price them online.
    Set a price.

kiddicare.com we always found brilliant and bought everything there but sterling was weaker then.

If you walk a lot suspension and inflatable tyres are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Make sure it fits in your car!!! Car seat that fits into the base of the buggy is very important for me, because I live out of town. The car seat should have good padding for safety. I have some fairly expensive Jane system and it's great for walking around the woods but also waaaay to awkward and heavy getting in and out of the car. So I probably wouldn't buy that one again. It all depends what you need it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I bought my travel system second hand with all of the accessories (€100 total), I was a bit suprised at people's reaction to that as there seems to be alot of 'buggy snobbery' around.
    I'm so glad I did now considering my son is almost 5 months old & the travel system has all but out lived it's usefulness.
    So my advice would be if you can get the travel system you like second hand you'd be mad not to :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I bought a big travel system with 3 large wheels. car seat clicks onto it. Bought it mainly because i walk alot but find it awkward getting around she shops and even some paths are so narrow. Very good waling along canal etc. Also had to take the wheels off to fit it in the boot, eventually bought a new car and an umbrella fold stroller. I do tink its important that the car seat clicks onto it as when baby small you dont want to be taking them out of there car seat to put them into pram. Mind my lil one is nearly 5 months now and wakes nearly ever time i take the seat out of the car anyway.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The first buggy we got folded easily - which sold me in the shop. However when we tried it, baby hated it, and I think it was because he couldnt see us - it will be much better when he can sit up and now he is getting more curious about his surroundings. Then I saw a shop selling the quinny frame that our carseat could fit onto for 100 reduced from 250 so got that and its much better at the moment because he can see us and relaxes into the trip.

In hindsight, I wish I bought a system that could convert to a double buggy for when we add to the family, assuming we are lucky enough to get pregnant again.

ETA: And I wish I shopped second hand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

kildareash wrote: »
    But I know from my siblings experiences that as soon as the child is old enough I will start using the lightweight umbrella folding pushchair. Even the people we bought our system off said they started using one, despite spending hundreds of euros on this pram.

That's true. Our baby is 18 months, and we use the folding Maclaren buggy much more now - for taking him to creche (because there's very little storage space), for car trips (much easier to fold and fit in the boot) and for travelling (try folding a Bugaboo without bruising your shins! And you can leave the Maclaren folded in a corner if it's in the way in a restaurant or wherever).

But it is invaluable to have a proper lie-flat buggy in the first few months. It also means you needn't buy a moses basket for daytime naps. Our baby still naps in the reclined Bugaboo, and it's very cosy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement