Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird question not sure where to post

Options
  • 09-09-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey,

This is a strange one but it's just for a story not for anything real and I thought maybe someone here might know -

If a bomb is being detonated by remote control how far away can the device be from the remote control.

I have googled this already and tried checking out military forums (the other sorts of forums I'm too scared to go near :eek: ) but can't find any info like this.

If anyone knows the answers or knows of a good place or book to find out this kind of (military?) info I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Alternative option: Go with a mobile phone detonator instead of a remote control. Then the distance is entirely up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 twimkat

Thanks - did not know that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

A VHF signal (walkie talkie etc) performs better with line of sight.

So if your character is activating the detonator from the basement of a concrete building the bomb on the street may not ignite.

He could go to the rooftop of a tall building nearby. He would now how far away (to avoid blast damage) he would need to be if he made the bomb and knew what he was doing. Especially if he was sadistic and wanted to watch.

Pressure switches and electrical switches could also be used.

You have infinite options on that one. I like the mobile phone suggestion. The character could be on the South of France and logs on to read the RTÉ News, after he makes his phone call.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He could even remotely activate the phone's video camera before the blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

mobile phone is the safest way to go......

a payg phone that only the bomber knows the number to (ie has never been used for anything else) massively reduces the chance of an accidental detonation.

it also means a team could all have the number should the leader be killed or captured.

Andy McNabb uses this in one of his novels to blow up a boat.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys - I actually gave up on the idea. But it's really annoying that it's so hard to find information about explosives. I understand why this is but still - it's really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

twimkat wrote: »
    Thanks guys - I actually gave up on the idea. But it's really annoying that it's so hard to find information about explosives. I understand why this is but still - it's really annoying.

Really? Have you tried google? :confused:

First attempt: https://www.google.ie/search?q=how+to+set+off+a+bomb+remotely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I have a mate who was a quarries inspector before he was promoted in the Health & safety executive.

any explosive info I need, I'm sorted!!

but google is good too ;o)

Yes I tried google several times and the type of information that you gave an example of - https://www.google.ie/search?q=how+to+set+off+a+bomb+remotely - was easily found but personally I think this type of information is useless - for what I wanted at least. I don't want to know how to describe something that people will accept as plausible I want to understand how these things work and yes I could find some information on howstuffworks.com but it related to large scale military weapons and not IEDs which is the information I wanted. As I said I understand why this information is not easily available but still - it is really annoying.

Advertisement