Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing keys in Ubuntu

Options
  • 09-09-2012 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

I re-arranged the layout of my number keys a long while back so that 1 became ! and so forth. Then I completely forgot about it as it only works after opening a terminal.

Now I'd like to change it back but cant for the life of me remember how I did it or find the article that explained it online.

As far as I remember I opened something from the terminal in gedit and just switched the relevant parts for the keys and then saved it.

Does anyone know what I need to get at to change them back or if it can be reset to default or something ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I've written a script to change the keys back when its run but my original changes are always implemented when I open a terminal. So each time I open a terminal I have to run the changes. Does the job for the moment but its not really a great solution.

So still looking for that original file or its possible whereabouts. I know I didnt write anything back then anyway, I just made changes to some original text file that contained the keys layout which is automatically ran when a terminal is opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Normally bash customization goes into your ~/.bashrc (or /etc/bashrc if it is system wide), have you checked there? That or maybe your ~/.bash_profile.

Knasher wrote: »
    Normally bash customization goes into your ~/.bashrc (or /etc/bashrc if it is system wide), have you checked there? That or maybe your ~/.bash_profile.

Spot on Knasher. I had just edited .bashrc. Thanks a million !!

Actually do I need that file at all ? Do I write the changes into that file or delete all mention of the keys at all so it will stick to default ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You should be able to delete the keys part, but you probably have other stuff in the file like a custom prompt, so you should keep the file around. If the keys part is the only thing in it, then it would be okay to delete it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement