Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant install Win7 on SSD

Options
  • 08-09-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a Kingston 128 gb SSD drive installed as my primary drive and when I install Windows 7 it does the full install including restarts, and at the end I just get a "No Signal" message on the Samsung monitor. I presume the pc is fully booted, but there is no output from the graphics card. I have other bootable drives in the pc and they boot fine. When I boot to a different drive and examine the SSD all the windows files have installed and are there, even "windows old" from the first install attempt.

Why would Windows fail to reboot after a full fresh install to the SSD.?
    Am I missing a bios setting, even though the drive is showing in the BIOS.

TIA John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Have you the option "ACHI" turned on in the BIOS?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

Thanks folks....I`ll try this out tonight. I have the SSD as the os drive and am using standard SATA hard disks for storage......Found the AHCI setting and made it default. Now I think the problem is the old ATI 4850 Graphics card which is not able to handle windows 7. I have a Geforce GTX550 ti on order but it is delayed hence the old unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Alexidium

Why not install the OS on the HDD and keep the SSD for primary memory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Alexidium wrote: »
    Why not install the OS on the HDD and keep the SSD for primary memory?
    Wha? Wouldn't you be losing all the benefit doing that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

SSD is best reserved for OS and heavy data (games etc.), use the mech. hard disk for data storage

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Walker34 wrote: »
    Thanks folks....I`ll try this out tonight. I have the SSD as the os drive and am using standard SATA hard disks for storage.

It is highly recommended that the SSD be the only drive connected during the OS install. You should disconnect the SATA do the install & then reconnect the SATA for storage.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Alexidium

Wha? Wouldn't you be losing all the benefit doing that?

Sorry I meant the other way around. :/

Advertisement