Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi router table, router and circular saw??

Options
  • 08-09-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭

I see these are on special at Aldi at the moment. Anyone got any opinions on them. All three are about 30 euro each.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

What do you intend to do with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Calibos wrote: »
    I see these are on special at Aldi at the moment. Anyone got any opinions on them. All three are about 30 euro each.

I saw that too. Tempted to give it a go.

I find the noise with these cheaper tools to be awful compared to pro branded tools.

noticed this today. I might give the router a go, but the router table is not what I'm looking for, rather build my own and stick the aldi router into it

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

i picked up the set of router bits today ,they look ok but i'll know when i try them out tommorow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭randombar

What about the saw lads anyone used this before? Will use it probably about 10 times a year so not sure if it would be worth spending the money, apart from noise what are the major differences between this and the expensive ones?

A very cheap rough blade that won't be any use to cut chipboard and sheet material with due to it causing the material to chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭randombar

so I could upgrade the blade for the fancy stuff??

You could buy a good quality blade for it no problem at all but it might struggle to run a heavier quality blade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Bought this Parkside cross cut mitre saw in Lidl a while ago for 50 euro.

Fantastic bit of kit indeed.:)

• Advertisement

was in Aldi today looking at this stuff

- Router - looked good for what I need it for, going to pick one up tomorrow

- Router bits - the ones I got my hands on looked woeful, especially the kitchen top bits, the edges were off on the set I was looking at

- Circular saw - It feels wrong even calling it this. I doubt it would have the power to get through 1/2 inch ply, also had the smallest blade I ever saw on a circular saw....think of granny's old fine china cup and saucer, about the diameter of the saucer, tiny

Unfortunately there were no open router table boxes and I didn't want to be cheeky. In saying that I did grab one to have a look at the details on the box and it was really light to pick up. Don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing :o

There were also sets of punches going cheap and sawhorses too. Going to grab some of them tomorrow also

Anyone got an opinion on this nail gun from Lidl? I wouldn't mind picking one up but I can't spring for the compressor. Anyone know of another option?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I think the general concensus on the router tables Aldi offer are: Dont bother!

Maybe theyre ok for mucing about with or crafty type work, but apparently the things arent flat, tend to flex and just arent worth the bother. Might be worth the money for the switch, but, thats about it.

The Routers arent too bad, for a cheap expendable machine, if you want to dedicate one to a router table or something, but, dont expect a long life out of them. The switches usually go. But, then, I 'spose you can bring them back, 3 year warranty and all that, but....who bothers?

Wouldnt even look at any blades, cutters etc that Aldi offer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Router and biscuit jointer now reduced to 20 euro in Aldi,Coolock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LastSuspect44

I bought the router table and the router which said it would fit the table and it didn't, can anyone help me ???:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

I have the router x 2 and the router table for the workshop, it is a squeeze to get into the table and a bit of a pain but it will fit, everyone bitches about the quality of aldi tools and ive compared this router to my dewalt one many times and 8/10 I would use this (unless I need a really deep plunge).... its very light, cheap (incase it gets robbed when working), once you use it for one job its paid its dues.... I use the router table for making coving/decorative mdf strips and it really does a good job... the cable is about a foot though so buy some power cable and extend this!!... 10/10 for value for money and use... (amazing for notching out hinges and locks for doors because of the weight) ... havent used the circular saw....

Hope this helps, Steven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BPB

Picked up the router and table. Router works fine All routers are noisy . It has control speed The table is useless I got it just to use the metal base you connect the router to. I will incest that into a home built table and guide fence and use the on off switch that comes with it. Takes a lot of effort to raze the router when connected to the table. Be warned when you loosen the router depth it shoots back with a lot of force. Comes with a spare set of motor brushes and they are readily available on line. Guaranteed for 3 years. I had a bit of bother with a drill I bought from Aldi a few years ago I had used it for a little over a year and a half. had the receipt in the manual book. No problem they got me a new drill and for what it cost it had more than paid for itself.
    So for the price of the router a 3 year cover and at the price worth it
    The table use the top and the on off switch and make it into a better one yourself.
    You will spend more for a table mount and switch anyway.
    Hope this helps some of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

paddy147 wrote: »
    Router and biscuit jointer now reduced to 20 euro in Aldi,Coolock.

They are all Chinese made stuff with a European name. How else can they sell them at that price.? :rolleyes:
    You will find they are horrible to use, noisy and prone to vibration ( especially the routers ) . If you want a tool to be used once a year maybe, but I think its a waste of 20 euro.I'd save up and buy branded tools which are a pleasure to use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

funny enough, i bought a router today; but an einhell one in mcquillan's. now to find out how to use the damn thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Today while going thru some of my late Dad's stuff in his shed I kind of went thru his routing stuff. He had an Aldi table and router from about 10 years ago, probably still fine. There was a big lot of different router bits mostly aldi or maybe Lidl. But then in another corner I came across what I thought was another Aldi job, its an unopened box called a Triton Router Table. After a quick google on it, turns out it goes for 199 today new.

I dont know, as a 44 year old with enough to keep myself busy I havent ever put much interest into routing but I think I could well be that man in the notsofar away future. Will hold onto it I think, also had another box called Triton jigsaw kit. Its a lucky find, most if not all of his tools for the last 15 years have been lidl or aldi, pity he never got to use these ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I've purchassed quite a few branded and Aldi/Lidl tools over the last few years. The cheaper stuff tends to get rougher handling, not carried in their cases, more time in the van/onsite, rough work ect. I find that the Aldi/Lidl stuff is excellent value for money and the one item that failed was replaced brand new. (I returned a makita tool and had a unsatisfactory response.)
    One thing I do find is that the cables on Aldi and Lidl tools tend to need replacing after 2 to 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

JMSE wrote: »
    Today while going thru some of my late Dad's stuff in his shed I kind of went thru his routing stuff. He had an Aldi table and router from about 10 years ago, probably still fine. There was a big lot of different router bits mostly aldi or maybe Lidl. But then in another corner I came across what I thought was another Aldi job, its an unopened box called a Triton Router Table. After a quick google on it, turns out it goes for 199 today new.

I dont know, as a 44 year old with enough to keep myself busy I havent ever put much interest into routing but I think I could well be that man in the notsofar away future. Will hold onto it I think, also had another box called Triton jigsaw kit. Its a lucky find, most if not all of his tools for the last 15 years have been lidl or aldi, pity he never got to use these ones.

Triton are an Australian company and their quality is generally very good.
    I had the original saw and router table. My only quibble was that the sliding table ran in aluminium tracks and quickly filled with sawdust. Their routers are up to Japanese and European standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

A little off topic from the Aldi offers but Lidl have a track saw and two lengths of track Thursday I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Was on sale yesterday. Got one early in the morning. Was only about 4 in the store. Seems decent value for 90 euro

Advertisement