Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Triumph GT6 with TR6 engine?

Options
  • 08-09-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I am in the market for a GT6 Mkll and I spotted this one for sale:
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C322462

And happened to find a vid of it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeBPA865nI8

The car certainly looks nice, but my question is, what concerns should one have with the fact that a TR6 engine has been fitted into it? I have read that the extra torque can cause strain to the rear diff and perhaps the chassis and that in some cases, changes to the body and struts have to be made in order to accommodate the new engine and gearbox. Would anyone happen to have any experience of this that they could share? Should a car like this be avoided in preference for a "standard" one?

I am waiting for further information back from the garage as to the restoration.

Many thanks in advance,

Darren
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭StiophanM

The company offering it for sale are highly regarded in TR circles.

The guy who runs it is a good bloke - just ring him and ask him if the mods were done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tunepimper

StiophanM wrote: »
    The company offering it for sale are highly regarded in TR circles.

The guy who runs it is a good bloke - just ring him and ask him if the mods were done right.

Hi StiophanM,

Many thanks for your advice, I'll be talking to the garage in the coming days, go to know that they are well regarded. Was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience of this setup in a GT6.

Cheers,

Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭StiophanM

OKIStag has a friend with a Spit6 correctly set up. I'm sure he will be along to advise in due course. I do not know if his friend uses Boards

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TRNIALL

Darren,you do need to Talk with some of us from the TCOC reguards what Car will suit you and for what you will be using it for.Reading your above Posts on this Thread and the other one that you started my Advice at the moment would be a TR7 pre 1980 so no Soft Top Option but one with a Webasto Sliding Roof,best of both Worlds;).My other suggestion would be a Dolomite Sprint also with Webasto and for your 10,000e you just might get Both:DHappy Days:D.Im living in Tallaght so if you need to drop over some Evening for a Chat and maybe a Test Drive drop me a PM with your Tel Number and i'll give you a Ring;).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tunepimper

TRNIALL wrote: »
    Darren,you do need to Talk with some of us from the TCOC reguards what Car will suit you and for what you will be using it for.Reading your above Posts on this Thread and the other one that you started my Advice at the moment would be a TR7 pre 1980 so no Soft Top Option but one with a Webasto Sliding Roof,best of both Worlds;).My other suggestion would be a Dolomite Sprint also with Webasto and for your 10,000e you just might get Both:DHappy Days:D.Im living in Tallaght so if you need to drop over some Evening for a Chat and maybe a Test Drive drop me a PM with your Tel Number and i'll give you a Ring;).

Hi Niall, many thanks for your reply. To be honest a TR7 wouldn't be my cup of tea, I'm a fan of the Sprint, but was hoping to get something with a more sporty look. I've had a review of my budget and I'm dropping it to 8500 sterling, hoping I can pick up something nice for that.

Althought I don't do many miles, I intend to use the car as a daily driver. Will PM you my number.

All the best,

Darren

• Advertisement
Advertisement