Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on MBA purchase

Options
  • 08-09-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Picking up a new MBA next week. Not sure which model to go for.

Based on my research so far it seems that getting good spec is advisable to increase longevity (aiming to use for 4-5 years).

Also want advice on whether anyone has regretted getting the smaller 11inch.

Also re: SSD size... I hear the OS takes up roughly 10GB and with a few apps and probably MSOffice another 4-5GB. So the 128GB model would probably leave me with 100GB usable storage, true? Any performance issues by having a full SSD?

Buying in US by the way, don't think that makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Kiki112 wrote: »
    get the bigger one :P

Screen or SSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

definitely the 13 inch screen. There is nothing worse than a small screen, especially when the bigger screen is still super light and portable.

128gb of storage on the SSD is fine for what the air is used for. I installed MS Office and a few other essential apps on my dads air and he has tons of space left even after moving his entire photo collection onto iphoto. A discrete external drive is handy to have in your laptop bag if you have some massive files that you dont want on the ssd taking up space - thats a rare case though. go for it op.

definitely the 13 inch screen. There is nothing worse than a small screen, especially when the bigger screen is still super light and portable.

128gb of storage on the SSD is fine for what the air is used for. I installed MS Office and a few other essential apps on my dads air and he has tons of space left even after moving his entire photo collection onto iphoto. A discrete external drive is handy to have in your laptop bag if you have some massive files that you dont want on the ssd taking up space - thats a rare case though. go for it op.

You've convinced me. 13 it is.

Is it advisable to spec up the machine (faster processor, more ram) to make it last a little longer?

Do apple stores generally carry these spec'd machines in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Be aware that there will be sales tax added to the price you see displayed online.

jamc wrote: »
    Be aware that there will be sales tax added to the price you see displayed online.

8.1% I believe, State and County.

• Advertisement
Advertisement