Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

re registration of an irish car to change the county on the plate

Options
  • 07-09-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

does anyone know how to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭number66

What I'd like to see is to be able to look up the mileage on second hand cars from the NCT test using the cars VIN number, Now that would be useful. But feck all chance of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

meekel wrote: »
    does anyone know how to do this?

Apply in writing to Leitrim corporation...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 meekel

i'm from dublin tho

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

djimi wrote: »

I dont want to see them change the format of the reg numbers tho. IMO we have one of the best systems of car reg plates I have ever seen and there is no need to change it.

It is the best system, except it causes number plates to have too many characters (anything between 4 to 9 - or even 10 - i'm not sure).
    Considering there only between 2 and 3 million vehicles in Ireland, there is no need for 10 characters long numberplates.

Also displaying year of first registration on numberplate is bit pointless IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

jock101 wrote: »
    Why would you want to! Total waste of money! Personal regs is the way to go! Like the DVLA offer! You can get one from as little as 50quid, it might have total crap on it, but it will hide the age of your car!

In most countries, option of hiding your vehicle age from numberplate is for free :D
    In UK you have to pay for this, while in Ireland so far you can't do anything about it.

• Advertisement

so nobody here knows how to do this? ive read about it and know it costs €250, i know they changed the registration process last year so after the end of june every car registered in dublin gets 120xxx instead of continuing the sequence and i know if you buy a car with a ww or wx or any other county you can change it to a d or any other county you want to.. my question is does anyone know how to go about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You can't. Once the car is registered the plate can't be changed

yes it can. they brought it out in november 2011, eg you buy a second hand car and the reg is 10ww1000 and you live in dublin you can pay a fee of €250 to change it to 10d120000 or whatever the next available number is. it can be done. i'm just wondering how to get it done as i want the plates on one of my cars changed so certain people wont recognise it.

- The SIMI want a special ‘identifier’ such as an extra character on the registration plate for all vehicles registered after 1st July in 2012 to create a second new car sales peak (basically like the UK so sales are spread more evenly throughout the year). They claim this could generate an extra €20 million in VAT and VRT each year.
    - They want to allow a registration plate to be re-designated to the county of residence of its new owner. Based on a charge of €250 for this re-designation, it could deliver an additional €20million for the Exchequer in year one alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭darg

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That's my understanding too.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

yes it can. they brought it out in november 2011, eg you buy a second hand car and the reg is 10ww1000 and you live in dublin you can pay a fee of €250 to change it to 10d120000 or whatever the next available number is. it can be done. i'm just wondering how to get it done as i want the plates on one of my cars changed so certain people wont recognise it.

News to me.......you've actually done this then ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

beleive SIMI WANTED this but it so far has not been implemented

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

so nobody here knows how to do this?

Because it cant be done at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No, it can't. Those 120000 + numbers are cars that have been imported since they moved to a new system a year or so ago. And only apply to cars up to either 2010 or 2011. Anything after that will get the next available number as before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

What happens if you move to the UK for a few years with your car and re reg it with DVLA for £55.

When you move back to Ireland, do you get the original number back or a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

What happens if you move to the UK for a few years with your car and re reg it with DVLA for £55.

When you move back to Ireland, do you get the original number back or a new one?

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Before clicking on this, I knew this was going to be someone wanting to switch to a D plate. What's wrong with a good KY reg if you wanted to 'not be recognised'?

Anyway, can't be done. Buy a car with a D reg if it matters that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Yep.

Which one :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Based on a charge of €250 for this re-designation, it could deliver an additional €20million for the Exchequer in year one alone.

20 million / 250 = 80 thousand

20000000 /250 = 80000 ....

you're saying that some gob****e believes in the first year ALONE 80 THOUSAND vehicles will be re-registered?

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    You get the original reg back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

i'd probably do this if/when it becomes available, car is dl reg at the mo and i'm from longford. i intend on keeping the car for good so would be nice to have my own reg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

wesf wrote: »
    would be nice to have my own reg

you do have your own reg.
    nobody else has the reg you have.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

rameire wrote: »
    wesf wrote: »
    would be nice to have my own reg

you do have your own reg.
    nobody else has the reg you have.
    If you had put the effort into understanding what i said instead of failing at being smart you'd have been better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

...until its 30th birthday, then it can be re-registered on a ZV plate.

ottostreet wrote: »
    .....What's wrong with a good KY reg if you wanted to 'not be recognised'?....

...indeed, a KY is a wonderful product. Mind you, it's clear: not going to hide much. Paper bag, anyone ? ;)

:p

:D

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Debs_Mann

I believe SIMI are trying to get the Reg plate system changed for 2013, to get rid of the dreaded 13 from the plate.

Have not heard of being able to change from one county to another.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dubhaltach wrote: »

You get the original numer plate back.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

ottostreet wrote: »
    Before clicking on this, I knew this was going to be someone wanting to switch to a D plate.

Anyway, can't be done. Buy a car with a D reg if it matters that much.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did this plan ever see the light of day, being able to change the county of the reg plate for €250?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement