Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private College

Options
  • 08-09-2012 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi guys am posting this on behalf of my best friend she is paying to go to study in a private college she have took a year out from work she is wondering is she entitiled to any btea or jobseekers?
    Also can she claim back the fee in tax?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭peppy123

hey i went to private collage for a year but i did mine part time, and i was on Job seekers, if she was already on jobseekers for a certain amount of time she could then go on BTEA , private collages suck for getting grants or any kind of help tbh :/

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You can't get BTEA for most private colleges. The college has to be on a list of approved institutions which you will find here

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418633/Student_Support_Regulations_2012.pdf

Tax can be claimed back but only by an employee so if your friend isn't working she can't claim it back herself. But ANYONE can claim it back on her behalf once they pay the fees. So if for example her parent or friend or even me paid the fees for we could then claim the taxback

See

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭kulareggae

She has never been on jobseekers she have always worked so is she entitled to Jobseekers even though shes in full time education?

And thanks for the link for tax relief I know her sister could claim it back for her

kulareggae wrote: »
    She has never been on jobseekers she have always worked so is she entitled to Jobseekers even though shes in full time education?

No. You can't get jobseekers if you are in full time education.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭kulareggae

what can she do?

• Advertisement

kulareggae wrote: »
    what can she do?

Live off savings
    Apply for a loan
    Find some part time work

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement