Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENG 11 Medical Cert

Options
  • 08-09-2012 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭

Have to take ENG 11 medical test prior to heading out on a research trip off the (Irish) west coast. What does this normally involve? Is the list of approved doctors still current? The last revision to the marine.ie list appears to be May 2007...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Had to do this medical 2 years ago, very basic, if you can walk in to the doctors you will be OK.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Where are you located? If its Galway, then Des Bluett in castle medical centre does them.

If it is your first ENG, You will need to do a hearing test, which costs extra and if your in Galway, is done in the Bon Secours.

The actual medical is not very difficult to pass. You will go through basic information, height, weight and a urine sample with a nurse. Then the doctor will go through various questions and basic tests. The most awkward being the cough test, but its actually good to now for your own good.

The medical can cost anything from 100-150 I think, and is valid for 2 years. Dont forget to bring your passport as ID.

Good luck with it and enjoy the survey

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

The current list still seems current, I have to update mine too, phoned one of the doctors in Dublin yesterday and it was no problem got booked in

http://www.marine.ie/NR/rdonlyres/6B74C282-15E9-474C-8C45-5F01834895B1/0/ListofApprovedDoctorsinIrelandMay07.doc

However I felt the fee was a bit on the weighty side :(

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Bligh wrote: »

Agreed....whats with the heavy price? ive done 2 now and thats the guts of 300euro. If your in a shipping company, is the cost covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Where are you located? If its Galway, then Des Bluett in castle medical centre does them.

If it is your first ENG, You will need to do a hearing test, which costs extra and if your in Galway, is done in the Bon Secours.

The actual medical is not very difficult to pass. You will go through basic information, height, weight and a urine sample with a nurse. Then the doctor will go through various questions and basic tests. The most awkward being the cough test, but its actually good to now for your own good.

The medical can cost anything from 100-150 I think, and is valid for 2 years. Dont forget to bring your passport as ID.

Good luck with it and enjoy the survey

Thanks very much for the info. I am based in Dublin so will contact one of the local GP's on the MI list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Agreed....whats with the heavy price? ive done 2 now and thats the guts of 300euro. If your in a shipping company, is the cost covered?

Some companies do cover the cost of medicals, I know in Donegal the cost is about 80 euro nearly half the cost the Dublin GPs charge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Some companies do cover the cost of medicals, I know in Donegal the cost is about 80 euro nearly half the cost the Dublin GPs charge!!

Yes. €80 last time I did the ENG 11, OGUK (new name for UKOOA) one costs a bit more.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

The current list still seems current, I have to update mine too, phoned one of the doctors in Dublin yesterday and it was no problem got booked in

http://www.marine.ie/NR/rdonlyres/6B74C282-15E9-474C-8C45-5F01834895B1/0/ListofApprovedDoctorsinIrelandMay07.doc

Hi,

That link is not working for whatever reason...
    I need to get an OGUK medical done but Effective offshore are charging €225

Anyone know where else does them a little cheaper than that please?

Advertisement