Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Triumph GT6 Mk2 Test Drive?

Options
  • 07-09-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello all,

I'm looking to view this GT6 in the coming weeks:
    http://www.lenhammotorcompany.com/stocklist/1970-triumph-gt6-mk-ii/

Should I purchase it, it would be my first classic car, I've driven a few classics before, but mainly MGs, I was wondering if there's anyone in the Dublin/Wicklow area who might allow me to test drive their Mk2 GT6 so I can get an idea of how one should handle and perhaps just some buying tips...although I've read many buying guides on line.

I realise it's a big ask, so if a test drive is off the cards, perhaps if someone could give me a walk-around of their Mk2 and some tips/advice, I'd be extremely grateful.

Also, what's your opinion on the car in the advert? How's the price? It comes with extensive history, a folder full of receipts and photographs of a restoration about 3/4 years ago.

Many thanks,

Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

I've a Mark 3 (rotoflex) which is pretty similar. Your welcome to come and take a gander (up in Booterstown). The car in the ad looks to be in very good condition...much better than mine - and they almost certainly will let you test drive it... if you are under 6ft they are good regular clasic.

They are skittish in wet weather though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tunepimper

Merrion wrote: »
    I've a Mark 3 (rotoflex) which is pretty similar. Your welcome to come and take a gander (up in Booterstown). The car in the ad looks to be in very good condition...much better than mine - and they almost certainly will let you test drive it... if you are under 6ft they are good regular clasic.

They are skittish in wet weather though.

Thanks Merrion, much appreciated. PM sent to Merrion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

If the reg was FGT 6 it be nice - 666 ? :eek:

Love those 70's Leyland 'kit cars' - TR6, Vitesse,GT6/Spitfire/ Spridget / LRover/RRover , endless hours of fun stripping/assembling over the winter :)

Just noticing on the Lenham one - the front badge says GT6mk2 and the rear GT6+ - just a small point , as Colombo used to say as he was leaving:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭StiophanM

Join the TCOC and seek out TRNiall - if he still exists lol

I certainly wouldn't buy one without getting some expert advice - been there paid the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Hi Darren

Would you not be better looking at a TR6, If your talking of spending that sort of money. Built to take the 6c, better touring, great to throw around too, top down fun, and easier to get bits (some bits can be hard to get).

I've a TR6 and my buddy has a GT6 (Mark one though), if the truth be told I'd say he'd close differently if he was to do over. There are more TR6's in the club (TCOC) than other models, and for good reason ;)
    You should def take a spin in a TR before any purchase

The above advice is good, take your time though and don't rush into a purchase. There are plenty of good cars around for that sort of money.
    Best of luck which ever way you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 tunepimper

stackerman wrote: »
    Hi Darren

Would you not be better looking at a TR6, If your talking of spending that sort of money. Built to take the 6c, better touring, great to throw around too, top down fun, and easier to get bits (some bits can be hard to get).

I've a TR6 and my buddy has a GT6 (Mark one though), if the truth be told I'd say he'd close differently if he was to do over. There are more TR6's in the club (TCOC) than other models, and for good reason ;)
    You should def take a spin in a TR before any purchase

The above advice is good, take your time though and don't rush into a purchase. There are plenty of good cars around for that sort of money.
    Best of luck which ever way you go.

Hi stackerman and stiophanm,

Thanks to both of you for your feedback/advice. I've already registered with the TCOC forum so hope to join soon.

While I do like the TR6, I prefer the look of the GT6, but I can probably be persuaded with a test drive and if practicality were a factor. To be honest I'd rather be spending about 8/8500, but want to make sure I get a car in nice condition.

Apart from appearance, my reason behind choosing the GT6 MKll was the ease of access to the engine and the hardtop, as although I don't do a heck of a lot of mileage, and often cycle to work, I hope to use it as a "daily driver". Not ideal I know, but I can't afford two cars. Would a TR6 with a hardtop still be a better option over the GT6? Are parts easier to obtain for a TR6 than a GT6?

Again, many thanks for your time. All the best,

Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭StiophanM

I wouldn't have thought parts any more or less difficult for the GT6. They share many common parts with other Triumphs and Leyland cars as well as other brands of that era

It is argued a TR6 handles better with the hard top - but when I had it on mine it rattled all the time - and yes it was correctly fitted. The TR is top down pedal to the floor car.

If you are a big lad, the GT6 pedal box is small - smaller than that of a Spitfire. And of course there is getting in and out!

It is a nice looking yolk I agree

Darren

See PM

Yea Sti

Hope all well ;)

K

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TRNIALL

Darren,you have a Reply from Me on the other Thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement