Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mcdonald Milkshakes

Options
  • 07-09-2012 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Just had a Mcdonalds milkshake and then realized half way through drinking it, that it probably isn't safe! is it a big deal? anyone else had one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Just had a Mcdonalds milkshake and then realized half way through drinking it, that it probably isn't safe! Should I let the hospital know? is it a big deal? anyone else had one?

Wow you're getting carried a way here. What's not safe about drinking one? Surely they wouldn't be allowed sell them if they posed a threat to anyone.

Unless it was a chocolate one. My God, you didn't drink a chocolate one did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Wow you're getting carried a way here. What's not safe about drinking one? Surely they wouldn't be allowed sell them if they posed a threat to anyone.

Unless it was a chocolate one. My God, you didn't drink a chocolate one did you?

I was worried about listeria-- found in soft ice cream...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I was worried about listeria-- found in soft ice cream...

Well then you should also avoid seafood, coleslaw, pre-preapred cooked and chilled meals, soft cheeses, cold cut meat, and smoked fish among a heep of other processed foods.
    There were nine cases of pregnancy-related listeria in Ireland in 2007.

You should be fine.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Well then you should also avoid seafood, coleslaw, pre-preapred cooked and chilled meals, soft cheeses, cold cut meat, and smoked fish among a heep of other processed foods.

You should be fine.

I avoid all of those things everyday! I just slipped up with the milkshake.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I avoid all of those things everyday! I just slipped up with the milkshake.

Sleepytrees, dont worry too much - the foods that we are told to avoid in pregnancy is because they are foods that can sometimes be more susceptible to food poisioning, but it is very rare. Safely prepared foods pose barely any risk - with the exception of the likes of shellfish or foods like blue cheese or smoked meats.

The likes of McDonalds would have very stringent cleaning routines for their machines, say, as opposed to the little newsagent fella selling '99's. McD would abide by HACCP procedures in their foodprep area and their staff have lots and lots of food hygiene training. Those machines would be cleaned daily and thouroughly. :)

You would be more likely to pick up foodpoisioning with homecooked food than somewhere like mc'd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I have had a few McDonald's milkshakes during my pregnancy...it's something I've craved....I thought about the Listeria and then thought of the probability of getting it, it's such a small chance and I don't indulge in them often enough to really worry about the odds!! The body does a pretty good job at protecting baby from outside harm as well!!

I keep over worrying about stuff. Trying not too is hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I know what you mean....all throughout my first trimester and until I got my 3d scan I was a ball of worry. I've decided the last couple of weeks to try and relax and go with the ignorance is bliss route!! The only time I worry now is when he hasn't kicked all day! ( I had a mini meltdown earlier in the week because he had been so quiet all day but 5 minutes after I finished crying he was kicking up a storm!!) It's hard not to worry, that's why boards is so great...other people who can relate and give great advice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

To be honest, I'd say the risk is more related to those mobile ice-cream vans where machines may not necessarily be hitting the most wonderful hygiene standards.

While you can say a lot of things about Mc Donnald's they do have pretty serious hygiene procedures.

Those modern ice-cream machines serve the product up much colder than the old ones you'd find in the vans at the beach.

They also have cleaning-in-place systems. These basically mean that the machine cleans itself out using something similar to dishwasher detergent and very hot water.

So, I'd say your risks were miniscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Sponge25

That's just being a good mum. Having something so precious as a baby and not worry alot is impossible to good person!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You will worry when the baby is born, when they go to school, university, go out without a warm jacket, when they are hanging around the wrong crowd, when they dont come home from the pub on time, etc for about the next 40 or so years:D ... you are a Mammy now, s'rules. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'd be more concerned about the meat in McDonald's than the milkshakes. You'll be fine from the milkshake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Mc Donnald's Ireland and also Mc Donnald's UK use exclusively local beef products and cheese for most of their restaurants in Europe is produced in Ireland. Their Irish beef in their outlets here is all Bord Bia Assured etc etc. So, you are actually getting an Irish hamburger in Mc Donnald's Ireland.

Their eggs are also free-range apparently.

That being said, they make no statement about the origin of their chicken, pork or fish.

In general, I am not a fan of fast-food, but if I have to eat something, I'd opt for vegetarian or beef on food quality / animal welfare grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Siham

Hi,

Is there any risk for the baby by drinking chocolate milk shake???

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

No risk provided the place you both it has a good standard of hygiene. My rule of thumb while pregnant was not to eat anywhere that I would be dubious of if I wasn't pregnant. Food poisoning is never pleasant but is more dangerous when pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

were not supposed to have smoked fish? iv just ate a smoked cod and had it a couple of times in the last two weeks i didnt know i wasnt supposed to! is it really bad??

SarahC11 wrote: »
    were not supposed to have smoked fish? iv just ate a smoked cod and had it a couple of times in the last two weeks i didnt know i wasnt supposed to! is it really bad??

If its cooked, its fine. Its more referring to raw fish or meat that is smoked and uncooked - eg parma ham, smoked salmon. Ditto for raw/runny eggs.

The risk when eating restricted foods is food poisioning. Some foods are more susceptible to giving you a dodgy tummy than others in their raw state, thats why its recommended you cook them thoroughly while pregnant.

Advertisement