Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 25mg Modem? Any good?

Options
  • 07-09-2012 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering, im switching to UPC to the 25mg deal with home phone and TV for €66. What router would i get, Would it be the Cisco one or the thomson? And has anyone recently tried request a Modem only and supply your own router? What is the specs of the router they'd supply me?

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cisco epc3925 is the modem UPC use across the board , plenty discussion about it on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Asm

Ok thanks ;)

Just to anyone else looking at this, heres the link to the routers.

The 3925 isn't pictured, but it looks basically the same as the 2425 but no external antenna.

Called today and i got onto Tech support, you can still request the modem only and supply your own router but the scientific atlanta modem can only go up as far as 25mg, anything over like 50mg or 100mg You MUST get the Cisco EPC3925, I just sticked with the router they supply. Thanks Colm MCM for all the help ;)

• Advertisement

Got it earlier today, the router is actually good. The only problem is you get only 1 bar in the attic (router on the bottom floor). heres a speedtest i did
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2173980641.png - Im on the 25mg up and 2.5mg down, Happy with it so far :)

You can't really argue with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

what is the difference between modem and router. i would have assumed they would just supply a wireless modem. i may be ordering the broadband in next few days so am curious as to what we will be working with. the tenant that was renting my house has left a sagem box and another modem type box.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Modem - Just creates a connection to the exchange, doesnt have wifi or manage the local network.
    Router(Sometimes includes a modem component) - "Routes packets" thus the name, thus managing the network, assigns IPs etc. Often has wifi.

The EPC you'll get is a router/modem combo and is pretty bad tbh.

We were sitting watching tv when I heard a loud click, walked to the hall and all the lights on the cisco router was off, the green light on the power supply was off too, Just over a week old and it's gone! Not a good start! :(

• Advertisement

Is the plug socket working, sounds like a circuit breaker popping?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is the plug socket working, sounds like a circuit breaker popping?
    I thought that too, but no we tried it in a different socket and still didn't work, all the other equipment like the phone etc which was on the same extension cord are fine. Have to wait till Tuesday for someone to come out :(

They came out on Tuesday and just replaced the router, so far going well, now the standard is 50mg they don't do 25mg anymore

Advertisement