Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underground rap fan? Showcase some of your fav artists for people to discover.

Options
  • 07-09-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

So in my opinion mainstream rap is crap nowadays and I'm always on the search for underground rappers I haven't heard before or I overlook because no bodies talking about them so what better way is there in finding new artists than going from the opinions of people here.

I've already found a few artists I like from other threads on these forums so here it goes. Post 3 vids of underground rappers you think are overlooked or deserve more followers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gerryd2

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

I know oddisee is fairly well known now, here anyway but toine maybe not so much. this song is great also, i listen to it every day. lyrics are great.

^^^^
    Cool mate, haven't heard of these yet I'm gonna check them out. Nice mellow rap. I can definitely chill to that. Reminds me of Common.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I love this kinda stuff.

Just listen to EJ and be amazed. I haven't been as amazed with an artist as I have with GZA.

I gotta due called Koncept that loves his rap. He puts out some great music.

Also I forgot STS. He's brilliant. Couldn't recommend him more.

The beat in that is superb.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Following on from oddisee above, he's on Mello Music Group, you should check out everytiong from them. Start off with Trek Life's album Everything Changed Nothing (prduced by Oddisee) and Oddisee's latest (which is album of the year for me so far).

Another guy i'm listening to alot lately is THURZ and have posted about him on other forums.

Fresh Daily is also brilliant,

• Advertisement

I love this kinda stuff.

Just listen to EJ and be amazed. I haven't been as amazed with an artist as I have with GZA.

I gotta due called Koncept that loves his rap. He puts out some great music.

Also I forgot STS. He's brilliant. Couldn't recommend him more.

The beat in that is superb.

**** I was in bits when I wrote that. I spelt everything correctly but the line about Koncept is ridiculous. Who says "I gotta dude called Koncept"? :confused:.

It's not as bad as the one about GZA and Emcee Jermaine though.

He's not quite as amazing as the GZA but he's very, very good.

+1 on the Thurz mention. His latest mixtape is great.

If I remember any more then I'll post them here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Best rap track of the year for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Percee P sounds like a better version of Jigga, must have seriously influenced him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Most of the people I can think of are Independent rather than Underground:

Sage Francis. (all of Strange Famous)
    DFD, Flight Distance, OG Hindu Kush, Sahtyre and Brown Bag All Stars
    Swollen Members
    Tonedeff (most of QN5) Elite in particular seems good
    STS

Much more well known, but I would still categorize them as fitting in:

Childish Gambino
    Hopsin

and these too are very well known but still qualify imo and deserve more:
    Immortal Technique and Canibus.

But Sage, Tonedeff and Canibus are 3 I think deserve a lot more than they got or are getting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Koncept is dope, I got a dude named Koncept I always thought Soul Khan was the shinning star of BBAS, but it's definitely Koncept. Cant knock the production from JJ57 as ewll, super dope producer.
    I see a track posted above also has a feature from Sene....he is one to listen to, doesnt get much mention on this forum, but really dope mc and has lots of side projects. He has something new coming with a guy called SceinZe who is excellent. His Recess album is also great.
    Cant say nothing but good things about Sage Francis and Strange Famous....Metermaids, B.Dolan, Cecil Otter, Sleep.
    Nothing but good things from early Anticon and Rhymesayers.
    And everything from Doomtree has been excellent.

As for Emcee Jermaine, the good news is that he has an EP and full length in the works, so that should keep Jimmy happy :)

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    As for Emcee Jermaine, the good news is that he has an EP and full length in the works, so that should keep Jimmy happy :)

Can't wait for it. He is brilliant.

I was on The Expert's Twitter page a few weeks and I saw that he was writing to Jermaine, and to Saheed as well. I know you know him so is there a chance that he gave a beat to Jermaine? That would be more than incredible if that collab happened.

While I'm on this Saheed is another. I got his mixtape last year and became hooked to it. Haven't heard anything recently though. It'd be a shame if he stopped. Get his mixtape. It's quality.

Can't wait for it. He is brilliant.

I was on The Expert's Twitter page a few weeks and I saw that he was writing to Jermaine, and to Saheed as well. I know you know him so is there a chance that he gave a beat to Jermaine? That would be more than incredible if that collab happened.

While I'm on this Saheed is another. I got his mixtape last year and became hooked to it. Haven't heard anything recently though. It'd be a shame if he stopped. Get his mixtape. It's quality.

The Expert has some exciting stuff in the pipelines, that's all I can really say about what he is doing now. You'll have to wait until there is something officially from him I'm afraid.

As for Saheed, the Take Heed Saheed album is a banger. Should be listened to by all, just good rap music.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The Expert has some exciting stuff in the pipelines, that's all I can really say about what he is doing now. You'll have to wait until there is something officially from him I'm afraid.

Well if you're talking to him any time soon then let him know that I'm looking forward to whatever he puts out. No doubt he'll be chuffed to know what I think about his work :pac:.

That Emcee Jermaine is class, if thats a freestyle I'm even more impressed. As for STM, ah 5 years ago I would have liked it but I hate rappers who rap about money, hoes, dress in gucci and use the word Swagger lol but he is decent. I listen to Koncept, the dudes good.

I like Truz definitely gonna check him out when I've a few hours to kill. Fresh Dailys good too, you can't beat a Brooklyn rapper, they always bring those punchlines. I'm gonna check out Antwon as well. That Saheed track is class. Downloading the mixtape now.

Most of the people I can think of are Independent rather than Underground:

Sage Francis. (all of Strange Famous)
    DFD, Flight Distance, OG Hindu Kush, Sahtyre and Brown Bag All Stars
    Swollen Members
    Tonedeff (most of QN5) Elite in particular seems good
    STS

Much more well known, but I would still categorize them as fitting in:

Childish Gambino
    Hopsin

and these too are very well known but still qualify imo and deserve more:
    Immortal Technique and Canibus.

But Sage, Tonedeff and Canibus are 3 I think deserve a lot more than they got or are getting.
    Independent/ Underground are the same to me. Both don't censor their **** like the mainstream does.

You can't beat swollen members and Madchilds new solo album is class too. Immortal Technique is a monster, Point of no return is one of my favorite Rap tracks ever and Canibus is a lyrical master but he hasn't played the game well. Going after LL, Eminem and the Battle with Dizaster have held him back a lot and turning on Wyclef didn't help him much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭EyeDeeOne

Wow, nice one starting this thread bud!

Akala's Fire in the booth (also check out "Find no enemy" if yer still not sure)
    He is my favorite artist!

Here is Akala ft. Lowkey "Behind my painted smile"

Lowkeys Fire in the booth (comments on for lyrics)

And TBH Lethal Dialect and Costello are brilliant!

and I assume ya already know Lunitic/Street Literature/Urban Intelligence

My Irish playlist
    My UK playlist
    My American Playlist
    Only after finding good old school american rappers recently :eek: so il be adding alot more when am arsed! xD

*edit* lol i spent a while pickin what song fer this post and burned the fook outta me pizza! bad buzz! xD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

EyeDeeOne wrote: »
    Lowkeys Fire in the booth (comments on for lyrics)

i've just started listening to Lowkey. I always heard of him but didn't really bother with any of his stuff for some reason.

But I bought Soundtrack To The Struggle the other day and love it. Fantastic album.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,619 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Really liking the Strange Music Roster:

Tech N9ne - Worldwide Choppers Feat. Ceza, JL (of B. Hood), U$O, Yelawolf, Twista, Busta Rhymes, D-loc, and Twisted Insane

Mayday

Rittz

Ces Cru & Krizz Kaliko

Kutt Calhoun

Jay Rock

Their Joke group 816 Boyz with the classic Areola

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

some Quality Artists mentioned above (although I cannot see all of them),

I cannot post vids from work unfortunately
    but here are a few more that may have not been mention
    Doap nixon
    AOTP
    Jmt
    outerspace
    sick Jacken
    Treachery
    Terawrizt
    Blaq Poet
    klashnekoff
    skinnyman
    smoke dza
    RA The rugged man
    Nate
    Jean Grae
    Hurricane G
    apologies if some of these already mentioned

This guy was one of my favourite finds of the year. I'm gonna use my 6,000th post writing about him. That's how good I think he is :pac:.

His mixtape is called "Free on the 15th". Only 7 tracks long but they're all brilliant songs.

He also has an album out that he did with The Sundance Kid again. It's brilliant. Think it's free as well. It's called "The Last Great...". Check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

anybody been listening to this guy, i think hes pretty good.

Real Life wrote: »
    I'm impressed with his stuff so far, but I'm becoming a bigger fan of his buddy Capital STEEZ.

Joey has 2 free mixtapes, Cap $teez has 1, well worth checking out.

Real Life wrote: »

Yea he's pretty good. I think I probably heard of him before most people on here by way of a link from Big K.R.I.T. on Twitter. Never followed up on him until recently though.

Got his recent output and I was very impressed. Some nice tunes. Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Advertisement