Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Confusing Roads in Dundalk!!

Options
  • 07-09-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I've just moved up here a few months ago and have been trying to get to grips with the roads in Dundalk. As if the cycle lanes don't make it bad enough I'm a bit confused about the Seatown Place-Barrack Street Junction.

Can anyone tell me who has right of way when turning right because the road markings are confusing and there are no signs!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭event

i think the cars coming from seatown place have the right of way over cars coming from barrack street

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

At that junction, Seatown Place/Barrack Street is the 'main' road. St. Alphonsus' Road (going South) and the road heading North towards the Greenore pub and Quay Street are the 'secondary' roads.

Usual 'main road/secondary road' rules apply. That is:

1. Traffic that is on the main road, and staying on the main road,

has priority over

2. traffic that is on the main road, but turning off it*,

which in turn has priority over

3. traffic that is on the secondary road, and is turning onto the main road

which in turn has priority over

4. traffic that is on the secondary road, and is crossing the main road to stay on the secondary road.

The reason that this particular junction seems more complicated is that three of the arms of the junction are one-way (one towards the junction and two away).
    Situation 4 can never arise at this junction.
    A situation to watch out for is that a car heading west on Barrack St heading onto Seatown Place is STAYING on the main road, and therefore has priority over a car heading east on Seatown Place that is turning right to head south on St. Alphonsus' Road.

* If two cars are on the main road, and are both turning off it into the same secondary road, then the one turning left has priority over the one turning right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I think Locum knows that junction pretty well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

The Guvnor wrote: »
    I think Locum knows that junction pretty well!

Well, at this moment I'm only about 300m away from it!
    But anyway, the rules I quoted apply at ALL junctions, unless there's a traffic light controlling who goes when.

(In the last couple of years, I have noticed an increasing trend of drivers not being aware of these priorities. I don't know how many times I have been stopped at a side road waiting to turn right onto a main road, only to have a driver on the main road stop and start waving me out!)

Advertisement