Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killester Graveyard Dublin

Options
  • 07-09-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I was going past Killester (Dublin, near Artane)graveyard today and wondered if anyone of note was buried there?

is it the site of the original cill from which Killester (Cill Easra) gets its name?

the graveyard looks a bit like a skip and the ground is uneven, though there are some gravestones still left. I believe there were plans to make a park out of the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

There was an abbey there, hence the road nearby - abbey park, and craigford drive was formerly killester abbey. The grave yard was part of that. the church must have flogged it years ago but there are online OS map I looked at a few years back where you can see the layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

There was an abbey there, hence the road nearby - abbey park, and craigford drive was formerly killester abbey. The grave yard was part of that. the church must have flogged it years ago but there are online OS map I looked at a few years back where you can see the layout.

I wonder was part of it destroyed building the houses, though I am told there was coal yard there as well.
    the ground is very uneven so maybe the church foundations are buried beneath.

Advertisement