Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid fuel Stove recommendations

Options
  • 07-09-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Hello there.

I am looking for some feedback from people who have stoves fitted in there homes ie price and how efficient they find them. There is a number of different models on the market and without feedback from people that have them in there homes it is hard to judge which is the best set up for our house. We have a open fire in our house and was thinking of fitting a solid fuel stove (Turf) which would provide heat for the house. The following is a list of the rads we have in the house:

Downstairs
    Utility 1 x 600 double rad
    Hall 2 x 1200 single rads
    Bedrooms: 2 x 1600 singles rads
    En suite: 1 x 1000 single rad
    Bathroom: 1 x Towel rad and 1 x 1000 double rad
    Kitchen: 1 x 1400 Double rad
    Dining: 1 x 2000 Double rad
    Living room 2 x 1400 single rads This is the room the stove is going so these rads will prob not be needed.

Upstairs

Hall Landing 1 x 1200 Double rad
    Bedrooms 3 x 1200 double rads
    Bathrooms 2 x Towel rads

Ideally we are looking for some help as to what sort of stove would be suitable for our setup. I know there are stoves that can go up to 25 to 30 KW but some of these seem very big. I would like a nice stove that doesn't take a truckload of turf/coal each evening to heat the downstairs at least. We are currently not using the upstairs area so we could get away with a lower output stove. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have a Stovax Riva 66 multi fuel insert stove installed.Its rated at 8kw.
    I burn briquettes,bits of wood and logs in it.

It chucks out some serious heat.

The house is also extremely well insulated thoughout it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

paddy147 wrote: »
    I have a Stovax Riva 66 multi fuel insert stove installed.Its rated at 8kw.
    I burn briquettes,bits of wood and logs in it.

It chucks out some serious heat.

The house is also extremely well insulated thoughout it.

looks good does it run many rads round the house or is it more for the room itself? By the looks of I don't think 8kW would do the job here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The Bull wrote: »
    looks good does it run many rads round the house or is it more for the room itself? By the looks of I don't think 8kW would do the job here.

Its a non boiler stove.

We dont really use the gas heating,even in the winter.

The house is very well insulated thoughout,so this really makes for a comfy living atmosphere inside the house.
    We have solar for hot water too.

You are gonna need a big stove and have to really get the fire going good in it,to heat all the rads imo.

So be prepared to burn alot of turf and wood.

Advertisement