Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Facilitator

Options
  • 07-09-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭

Hi, Got a letter to see the facilitator. Has anyone met one before and what was involved? Any info will be really appreciated!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭mary55

I went to see one once. She just recommended some fas courses I could do which would help me in my job search to be honest I thought it was useless.
    I didnt want to do any of the fas courses but I told her about this course I wanted to do I think because they are allocated so much money I think for people to do courses but she never got back to me about it. Maybe I should have made of fuss though. I just though it was a waste of time.

mary55 wrote: »
    I went to see one once. She just recommended some fas courses I could do which would help me in my job search to be honest I thought it was useless.
    I didnt want to do any of the fas courses but I told her about this course I wanted to do I think because they are allocated so much money I think for people to do courses but she never got back to me about it. Maybe I should have made of fuss though. I just though it was a waste of time.

Thanks Mary, I read your previous posts regarding the matter but was looking for a more up to date reply. Did you bring any paperwork with you or just the letter they ask you to produce? I have a load of stuff to show them but is there any point really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I had a meeting with a facilitator a while ago. I went in expecting them to tell me the same rubbish I got from FAS (who are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike). I think she expected me to be stroppy and uncooperative.

I think we were both pleasantly surprised. Turned out to be quite a good meeting. I showed her my CV and brought reams of job applications. She gave me a couple of useful pointers and told me about a jobs seminar that was being held at the time. The offer of paying for some courses was made, but the course I wanted to take was too expensive.

I'd go in with an open mind. The facilitator I saw seemed to be one of the better ones, but I've also heard of some awful experiences where no attempt to help was made, but rather to berate and bully people.

Thanks for that, I'm not worried about producing courses I've done and Jobs I've applied for. I was just worried that I might get some assh*le on a powertrip berating me for not doing this and that. There's another course that I want to do starting in October so I'll chance my arm and ask can they throw a few bob towards it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

The one I went see looked at my CV and said it was grand and then told me to go talk to FAS about courses (who had helped me with the CV and talked to me about courses as was a condition of going on jobseekers :confused: ). I was in there for a half hour (after a half hour wait) to be told to go somewhere I had already been to talk about stuff I had already talked about. And then handed an application for a course which closed the previous week.

Waste of time conversation with another moron in the public sector is all it is. If you are looking for a job then the job facilitator is of no use to ya as their job as far as I could make out is to pretend they help people with employment by directing them elsewhere. Its a job for the sake of a job.

Scioch wrote: »
    Waste of time conversation with another moron in the public sector is all it is. If you are looking for a job then the job facilitator is of no use to ya as their job as far as I could make out is to pretend they help people with employment by directing them elsewhere. Its a job for the sake of a job.

Thanks Scioch and did you bring anything with you? Or just the letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Thanks Scioch and did you bring anything with you? Or just the letter?

I brought the letter and CV. By her reaction to my CV (seemed impressed despite there not being much of anything on it) and me knowing what area I wanted to work in I'd say you'd only really have a problem with them if you were long term on the dole, had no training and had never shown any inclination to work or do a course. If you were a real waste of space in other words.

If you have courses or work already behind you or even have a plan of what type of work you are aiming for then they will redirect you to FAS or might have some pamphlets to give ya depending on what your looking for. But I didnt she anything from them to suggest then could actually help me in any way.

But as with everything to do with the social it probably depends on who you get as to what experience you will have. Hopefully you'll get a nice person having a good day and you might come out of it with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭mary55

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Thanks Mary, I read your previous posts regarding the matter but was looking for a more up to date reply. Did you bring any paperwork with you or just the letter they ask you to produce? I have a load of stuff to show them but is there any point really?

I just brought d letter and information on course I wanted to do. Bring a CV too id say.

Advertisement