Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 Year Old Thinking About Canada.

Options
  • 07-09-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Since the start of 6th year, which I've recently completed, I've wanted to move to Canada seeing as though their economy is stable, compared to ours. I was hoping to get good results in my Leaving Certificate to maybe do a college course in IT, but it went (terribly) wrong for me, and I didn't get the points I needed. I guess doing my Leaving Certificate at the age of 16, going 17 wasn't my greatest decision.

I was wondering, what would be the best way for myself to get into Canada? I know you have to be 18 to apply for a VISA, and I'm willing to wait 'til next Summer to turn 18 and the apply when it opens (around December?). I just failed at reaching the 200 points mark (I got 190), which was devastating to myself, and I have a feeling that it has rendered my chances of going to Canada useless.

I guess a little bit about me, if you need to know more: English, both spoken and written, are both of quite high standard, but it's more of my knowledge on Shakespeare and poems that cause my downfall in English. Maths is a strong point, but I find I struggle with Algebra at times. Irish is a major weak point for me, (I got an E in Ordinary Level), only because I have zero interest in that language and I believe in this current day and age it is quite useless. I am relatively good at Geography, I know where most countries on the map are, and can pin-point most cities (major and some minor) fast. I'm half German, and speak it at an okay level (although I'm aware they speak French in some parts of Canada). I have experience with Metalwork (I was thought it from 1st year 'til 3rd year) and then I followed up that by doing Technology in 5th and 6th year.

Anyway, I'm not sure how many people will read this, or attempt to help me with information, but I thought I might just post it here. If you have come this far, thank you for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You should really think about resitting your leaving certificate. You might not be thinking about college now, but in the future you might be, and you'll fare much better in Canada with some educational credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 iRawwwN

Giblet wrote: »
    You should really think about resitting your leaving certificate. You might not be thinking about college now, but in the future you might be, and you'll fare much better in Canada with some educational credentials.

I have thought about resitting my Leaving Certificate many times, just so I could get the points for college. It's just that, as you probably are aware, both the Maths course and English course have changed, and I'm not sure if I would be able to handle learning an almost new course in Maths, as well as new poets and texts for English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Since you speak German, would you not qualify to go to college in Germany? I assume you passed English and maths at least? I don't think points matter much to the over there.

Since you speak German, would you not qualify to go to college in Germany? I assume you passed English and maths at least? I don't think points matter much to the over there.

If I'm entirely honest, I am not a huge fan of education, except the basics. I would much prefer to go and start working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

iRawwwN wrote: »
    If I'm entirely honest, I am not a huge fan of education, except the basics. I would much prefer to go and start working.

It still might be cheaper and more doable to go to Germany and get a job. You need a lot of money to even get to Canada and you are going to need even more money to get your feet on the ground when you're over there. I dunno though if you want to do it, go for it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if you are half german then and can speak the lingo then theres jobs for you in Ireland in various places for technical support and whatnot in the german language

if you reckon its not up to standard yet then heck, go to germany and practice it! Munich and other better off cities cannot get enough staff in shops and catering but a command of the language to some level is definitely needed.

or maybe see about getting an apprenticeship in Germany? The education system in Germany is a little like in the UK.
    Everyone stays in school till they are 16 and then a portion of the more academic ones do the arbitur i.e. A levels and everyone else either gets vocational training/ apprenticeship on the job in one way or another.
    The only problem there is that they would only take you when theres a group starting so when that is I couldnt tell you.

Still, staying with mammy for another year and nailing the leaving is probably the most sensible option as then at least the option of going to college locally is opened up to you again.

(Not that you couldnt do a post leaving cert course anyhow in a college of further education )

It still might be cheaper and more doable to go to Germany and get a job. You need a lot of money to even get to Canada and you are going to need even more money to get your feet on the ground when you're over there. I dunno though if you want to do it, go for it :D
    I'm aware it would be cheaper to go to Germany as I do have family over there, I would just prefer to go to an English speaking location. I know the expenses that may occur in my travel to Canada, but if I can get there, it would be worth it in my opinion.
    if you are half german then and can speak the lingo then theres jobs for you in Ireland in various places for technical support and whatnot in the german language

if you reckon its not up to standard yet then heck, go to germany and practice it! Munich and other better off cities cannot get enough staff in shops and catering but a command of the language to some level is definitely needed.

or maybe see about getting an apprenticeship in Germany? The education system in Germany is a little like in the UK.
    Everyone stays in school till they are 16 and then a portion of the more academic ones do the arbitur i.e. A levels and everyone else either gets vocational training/ apprenticeship on the job in one way or another.
    The only problem there is that they would only take you when theres a group starting so when that is I couldnt tell you.

Still, staying with mammy for another year and nailing the leaving is probably the most sensible option as then at least the option of going to college locally is opened up to you again.

(Not that you couldnt do a post leaving cert course anyhow in a college of further education )
    Yeah, I understand you, and I may look into that as a second plan. I do understand the basics of German, I passed my German Leaving Certificate exam, so that should count for something. :P I might look into the whole going to Germany thing a good bit, I just never thought about it that much.

I was planning on trying to find work and saving up while living with my mother, that way I wouldn't have to pay expensive rent. I was also recently looking at doing FÁS courses in IT both to gain money and increase my knowledge in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Leaving cert means nothing in Canada, So you would basically be coming 0over and starting at the very bottom with no qualifications. Entirely depends on what you want to do, but not having qualifications, experience or a trade will not get you far, and there wouldnt be much available to you other than menial entry level jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Since the start of 6th year, which I've recently completed, I've wanted to move to Canada seeing as though their economy is stable, compared to ours. I was hoping to get good results in my Leaving Certificate to maybe do a college course in IT, but it went (terribly) wrong for me, and I didn't get the points I needed. I guess doing my Leaving Certificate at the age of 16, going 17 wasn't my greatest decision.

I was wondering, what would be the best way for myself to get into Canada? I know you have to be 18 to apply for a VISA, and I'm willing to wait 'til next Summer to turn 18 and the apply when it opens (around December?). I just failed at reaching the 200 points mark (I got 190), which was devastating to myself, and I have a feeling that it has rendered my chances of going to Canada useless.

I guess a little bit about me, if you need to know more: English, both spoken and written, are both of quite high standard, but it's more of my knowledge on Shakespeare and poems that cause my downfall in English. Maths is a strong point, but I find I struggle with Algebra at times. Irish is a major weak point for me, (I got an E in Ordinary Level), only because I have zero interest in that language and I believe in this current day and age it is quite useless. I am relatively good at Geography, I know where most countries on the map are, and can pin-point most cities (major and some minor) fast. I'm half German, and speak it at an okay level (although I'm aware they speak French in some parts of Canada). I have experience with Metalwork (I was thought it from 1st year 'til 3rd year) and then I followed up that by doing Technology in 5th and 6th year.

Anyway, I'm not sure how many people will read this, or attempt to help me with information, but I thought I might just post it here. If you have come this far, thank you for reading.

Put in the extra effort now to have an easier life later. If you don't get a good education you are more likely to be at the lower end of the labour ladder. Now you might get luckly and stumble upon somthing that really works out for you. But education is where its at. Do all you can to get a good education for your own sake. As you go through your life it will stand to you . If you went to Canada do you think you will have more of a chance in the work place ?? Its the same everywhere get the education. Keep the head up and keep going at it. Best of luck

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you go working now, it will be as an unskilled worker. Which I assume they have enough of. You have to make yourself stand out. I appreciate you want to go out and get started with life, but it you'll be making it a lot harder on yourself.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Leaving cert means nothing in Canada, So you would basically be coming 0over and starting at the very bottom with no qualifications. Entirely depends on what you want to do, but not having qualifications, experience or a trade will not get you far, and there wouldnt be much available to you other than menial entry level jobs.

I know, I've come to understand it means nothing, I had a feeling it wouldn't from day 1. I'm not looking for a high paying job with a nice monthly salary, I'm looking for something that will ensure I can live there with accommodation and enough food to survive. I know I'm not setting high enough goals for myself, and that I'm probably setting myself up for disaster.
    Put in the extra effort now to have an easier life later. If you don't get a good education you are more likely to be at the lower end of the labour ladder. Now you might get luckly and stumble upon somthing that really works out for you. But education is where its at. Do all you can to get a good education for your own sake. As you go through your life it will stand to you . If you went to Canada do you think you will have more of a chance in the work place ?? Its the same everywhere get the education. Keep the head up and keep going at it. Best of luck

I understand, I know it would be best for me to get the grades now for future use. Well, I don't mind being at the "lower end", as long as I can get paid at the end of the week/month, I will be happy. As I've said before, I'm probably setting myself up for disaster. I know people are only hiring those with good qualifications, I understand why they are looking for those people. Anyway, thanks for the input. :)

MarkR wrote: »
    If you go working now, it will be as an unskilled worker. Which I assume they have enough of. You have to make yourself stand out. I appreciate you want to go out and get started with life, but it you'll be making it a lot harder on yourself.
    I've come to terms that it will be making it harder on myself, and I have a feeling of how much pressure it will put me under, but I believe that I can withstand the pressure and go about living a good life. I guess I'm just one of those people who like to do practical stuff instead of being cooped up in a classroom.

also, going with no qualifications/trade will mean more than likely working in unskilled jobs, which severely limits your options for work permits beyond an initial Working Holdiay Visa. You could get a 1 year WHV for possibly 2 years to begin with, but after that you'd need to be in a skilled position to start looking at other work permit/visa options. It would be incredibly difficult.

also, going with no qualifications/trade will mean more than likely working in unskilled jobs, which severely limits your options for work permits beyond an initial Working Holdiay Visa. You could get a 1 year WHV for possibly 2 years to begin with, but after that you'd need to be in a skilled position to start looking at other work permit/visa options. It would be incredibly difficult.

That is how I was thinking it would of been, I was only going to apply for the 1st year as a try out, to see if the country is for me, and I was going to apply for a second year if I did enjoy it.

Would you have any clue about doing say, a night time course while working? Would you have to apply for a totally different VISA if you were to do night-schooling?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The prospect of getting out there, working, earning money, and feeling like a real adult is of course very attractive, but where you are now, you've a long, long life ahead of you, and there's no reason to be in too much of a hurry.

Now, while you have no dependents and no commitments, is the time to invest in your skills and your future employability. It will only get tougher and tougher to return to education as you get older, and believe me, if you haven't got a third-level qualification, you'll have to be very good at what you do if you're going to avoid needing one in the future.

I'd love to go back and upgrade my skills further, but I'm in work about 10 hours a day, I've a mortgage to pay, and a baby on the way. I'll get by just fine, but I thank God that I at least went to college and got my diploma. I'd hate to be still in an unskilled job now (well I wouldn't be, because I'd have been let go).

Find something you love doing, go to college (or do an apprenticeship) and study it, and then try to get work in that area. Never mind that you'll be paid little. Your first few years are for getting as much experience as possible in your chosen field, and if you do things some way right, you'll set yourself up well. Don't smoke dope, p155 your earnings against the wall, or borrow money for holidays or nice cars. That sh1t will only hold you back.

Also, go where the opportunities in your chosen field are. Canada might be just the place, but don't restrict yourself to there. Once you've got your studies out of the way, the opportunities could be anywhere: Dublin, London, Munich, Dubai, Melbourne, Shanghai. If you go where the money is for a few years, you can just save loads. That will put you in the right position for your 30s when you'll want to think about where you want to make your life and settle down.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

I'm in Canada 9 days now, it's not easy so far, jobs are there but hard to get... I have a Bachelor of science in IT and I haven't a chance of getting something in it, because I have no experience. Best I can hope for is office support or tim hortons by the looks of things... so it's not easy coming here with no experience at all, I have a small bit and still struggling.. so really do your homework on it.

That is how I was thinking it would of been, I was only going to apply for the 1st year as a try out, to see if the country is for me, and I was going to apply for a second year if I did enjoy it.

Would you have any clue about doing say, a night time course while working? Would you have to apply for a totally different VISA if you were to do night-schooling?

There are a lot of restrictions on schooling/education while on a WHV. Not sure if it applies to hands on training, but anything with classes in an educational institution you will not be permitted to do on a working holiday visa

fricatus wrote: »
    The prospect of getting out there, working, earning money, and feeling like a real adult is of course very attractive, but where you are now, you've a long, long life ahead of you, and there's no reason to be in too much of a hurry.

Now, while you have no dependents and no commitments, is the time to invest in your skills and your future employability. It will only get tougher and tougher to return to education as you get older, and believe me, if you haven't got a third-level qualification, you'll have to be very good at what you do if you're going to avoid needing one in the future.

I'd love to go back and upgrade my skills further, but I'm in work about 10 hours a day, I've a mortgage to pay, and a baby on the way. I'll get by just fine, but I thank God that I at least went to college and got my diploma. I'd hate to be still in an unskilled job now (well I wouldn't be, because I'd have been let go).

Find something you love doing, go to college (or do an apprenticeship) and study it, and then try to get work in that area. Never mind that you'll be paid little. Your first few years are for getting as much experience as possible in your chosen field, and if you do things some way right, you'll set yourself up well. Don't smoke dope, p155 your earnings against the wall, or borrow money for holidays or nice cars. That sh1t will only hold you back.

Also, go where the opportunities in your chosen field are. Canada might be just the place, but don't restrict yourself to there. Once you've got your studies out of the way, the opportunities could be anywhere: Dublin, London, Munich, Dubai, Melbourne, Shanghai. If you go where the money is for a few years, you can just save loads. That will put you in the right position for your 30s when you'll want to think about where you want to make your life and settle down.

Good luck!

Wow, thanks for that detailed reply! I understand what you mean by don't rush things, but I have the mentality that "I might not be here tomorrow", so I try to do what I can when I can. I want to get as far as possible.

Not having commitments is good for getting a good education, I understand, I don't plan on committing any time soon, so I think I'm safe for now. I would love to receive an apprenticeship more than go and do 3rd level education.

I have a mind set where if it's needed to get where I want to go, I wouldn't touch any of that stuff, I don't plan on anyway. I know I need to save my money, and I'm aware that that stuff will just drain my money. I don't want to go to built up areas such as London and Shanghai. Dubai and Melbourne do sound nice, but not for me, I'd burn to CRISP in weather like that!

Thanks for your input, and I hope all goes well with your future child. :)

I understand what you mean by don't rush things, but I have the mentality that "I might not be here tomorrow", so I try to do what I can when I can. I want to get as far as possible.

It's all about balance though. In terms of probability, you can expect to live into your 80s, and hopefully even longer! You could die before your 40th birthday, like my father did. You can't know the future.

All you can do is assume you'll live to be old and grey, and plan accordingly. You'll need to work a lot, so make sure you do something that you like, you can earn money doing it, and that there's a market for it in the types of places where you want to live.

There are a lot of restrictions on schooling/education while on a WHV. Not sure if it applies to hands on training, but anything with classes in an educational institution you will not be permitted to do on a working holiday visa

Yeah, that's what I assumed. :/
    It's all about balance though. In terms of probability, you can expect to live into your 80s, and hopefully even longer! You could die before your 40th birthday, like my father did. You can't know the future.

All you can do is assume you'll live to be old and grey, and plan accordingly. You'll need to work a lot, so make sure you do something that you like, you can earn money doing it, and that there's a market for it in the types of places where you want to live.

Mhmm, I guess I prefer to live for the moment, I'm not a fan of looking into the future as I get very grim thoughts when I do those things.

• Advertisement

Mhmm, I guess I prefer to live for the moment, I'm not a fan of looking into the future as I get very grim thoughts when I do those things.

Yeahhhh... it's not so easy being 17, but take heart - life gets better over time once you learn to be comfortable in your own skin.

Yeahhhh... it's not so easy being 17, but take heart - life gets better over time once you learn to be comfortable in your own skin.

Ha, thanks for that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

At 17, you are still basically a child. A big child, admittedly :) - and don't take that as an insult OP, it means you've got years of (mental) growth ahead of you, and a lifetime of opportunities. Fricatus gives great advice here - find something you are happy doing, and whether it requires you to do an apprenticeship, or repeat the leaving and going to college for a while, go and do it.

Canada might be a great place (or not - I've heard mixed reports from friends), but I think that it might just be a temporary escape for you - you will end up facing the same issues there as you do here, only perhaps without the support structures of friends and family. It can be a great adventure heading off alone, but it can also be very hard, very lonely and very depressing if things don't work out.

If I were you, I'd either do the leaving again, or head to Germany for a year (closer to home, family and friends) and then look at repeating the leaving. If I was less academic, I might look at doing a plumbing apprenticeship or something like that - for the foreseeable future, the world is going to need them!

Good luck, and remember that, having done the leaving so young, you have a couple of years to play with. Make them count.

Ha, thanks for that. :)

Hehe, sorry, I guess that sounds condescending all right. :D

But I remember what it was like, and it wasn't easy!

At 17, you are still basically a child. A big child, admittedly :) - and don't take that as an insult OP, it means you've got years of (mental) growth ahead of you, and a lifetime of opportunities. Fricatus gives great advice here - find something you are happy doing, and whether it requires you to do an apprenticeship, or repeat the leaving and going to college for a while, go and do it.

Canada might be a great place (or not - I've heard mixed reports from friends), but I think that it might just be a temporary escape for you - you will end up facing the same issues there as you do here, only perhaps without the support structures of friends and family. It can be a great adventure heading off alone, but it can also be very hard, very lonely and very depressing if things don't work out.

If I were you, I'd either do the leaving again, or head to Germany for a year (closer to home, family and friends) and then look at repeating the leaving. If I was less academic, I might look at doing a plumbing apprenticeship or something like that - for the foreseeable future, the world is going to need them!

Good luck, and remember that, having done the leaving so young, you have a couple of years to play with. Make them count.

Haha, don't worry, I won't take that as an insult! I guess I'm what's wrong with our generation, we all want to grow up fast, and not preserve the present. The only thing I enjoy doing really would be ICT stuff, and anything in that sector. Again, I would have to go to college to get a good education to receive a good job in it, as many other people would be more qualified than myself.

There are a few people over there that I know, so it wouldn't be as lonely for myself. I'm not that much of a dependent person, and I can handle stress/being alone quite well, so I don't think I will have many problems mental-wise.

I'd love to do plumbing, or something in the building trade, but would the demand over in Canada be higher than here? If it was, I would get up and go straight for an apprenticeship in plumbing.

As you may have realised, I really do want to go to Canada, more than I can actually express on here.

Advertisement