Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows problem

Options
  • 07-09-2012 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hi,

At the beginning of the summer I installed XP onto the laptop to run a program. This copied over the WIN 7 boot file and as a result it wouldn't start up. It was just before my exams and in a panic I installed a pirate win 7.

It works fine but I get loads of annoying counterfeit messages. The laptop is only two years old but I never got a windows CD with it(is this normal) and as a result couldn't repair the boot file or reinstall my genuine windows.

Will microsoft send me out a CD? or should I just download a better pirate copy.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Moved to Windows.
    You best bet is to download Windows 7 here for the version applicable to your license. Then activate it using the serial underneath the machine. You may need to activate via phone.

Nick

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's not unusual for new laptops to come without a Windows disc these days, more often than not you get a recovery partition and/or a utility for creating rescue media.

So long as you've got a Windows 7 Certificate of Authenticity on the underside of your machine you've got a valid licence for the laptop. As yoyo suggested, the best thing to do is download the legitimate Windows 7 ISO image from the link, burn that to a DVD and do a reinstallation.

I'd advise a clean reinstall rather than an upgrade since there's no way of knowing what sort of potential nasties might be lingering in the pirate version you'd installed previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Hi all,

I am having difficulty downloading the iso. The first attempt from the above link seemed to work. I went out and bought some DVD's. When I went to burn the disk I couldn't find the file anywhere. Searched the whole computer. No sign of it.:confused:

I have tried to download it 4/5 times since but keep getting the error message
    C:\Users\INTERS~1\AppData\Local\Temp\_7rX+RDm.iso.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator.

It wont let me resume the download.

I tried a different download another file last night. SP1 this time but got the same message about 2.5 gigs into it.(I only have a 10 gb/month download limit)

Its Win 7 home premium x64 I had originally. I have x36 ultimate SP1 on it at moment.

Any advice? (I only have a 10 gb download limit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Advertisement