Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature recruit for the RDF

Options
  • 07-09-2012 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

This is basically a fact finding mission at the minute but will hopefully turn into something a little bit more fruitfull.

I've always had a very keen interest in the military life from a very young age, and was always looking to join the Irish Army as a Cadet, but at the age of 18 I applied for the Emergency Services and was eventually 2-3 years later trained up as a full time member, thus my career in the military came to a standstill.

I'm at the age of 31 now and am still very much interested in the military, and was wondering would joining the RDF be an option at this late stage, I've been in the emergency services now 10 years and think/hope I could bring something to the RDF table even at this late stage.

Anyone any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Resceu247 wrote: »
    This is basically a fact finding mission at the minute but will hopefully turn into something a little bit more fruitfull.

I've always had a very keen interest in the military life from a very young age, and was always looking to join the Irish Army as a Cadet, but at the age of 18 I applied for the Emergency Services and was eventually 2-3 years later trained up as a full time member, thus my career in the military came to a standstill.

I'm at the age of 31 now and am still very much interested in the military, and was wondering would joining the RDF be an option at this late stage, I've been in the emergency services now 10 years and think/hope I could bring something to the RDF table even at this late stage.

Anyone any thoughts ?

I know of a couple of people who've joined just under the 35 year age limit. If you're fit and there's nothing medically wrong with you, your experience and training in the emergency services will be a very considerable asset - there are a number of likewise individuals, and they tend to be part of the backbone of their units.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Resceu247

Maoltuile, many thanks for the contructive reply, what kind of training do units do, ie: time scale per week, specific unit based ?

Are there better units than others, infantry, cavalry, artillery ?

Maoltuile, many thanks for the contructive reply, what kind of training do units do, ie: time scale per week, specific unit based ?

There should be a FAQ for this, but the typical is: two hours in barracks on the same night every week all year round; maybe one Saturday or Sunday or even weekend a month; One week a year on camp somewhere in the country. This year there was also a week-long Assessments held, which is like an exercise.
    Are there better units than others, infantry, cavalry, artillery ?

Everyone will probably claim that their unit or Corps is better - but it probably comes down to your own interests and any personal or geographical ties you may have to a particular unit. I would say the Medics would value your skills most, unless by 'emergency services' you mean DFB - in which case you may prefer the Engineers, who include this role.

In your case, given your age and experience, you will want to concentrate on (and will probably be pushed towards) being put on a Potential NCOs Course as soon as possible, and the Standard NCOs course (necessary qualification for going beyond Corporal) not long after that. Both these courses have high requirements in terms of physical effort and time investment, and heading into your thirties you want to get them out of the way as soon as possible.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Resceu247

Again many thanks for the answers,

I contacted RDF 2 Eastern Brigade from the email address provided on the Military.ie website. Got a reply nearly instantly, all positions filled for this year, so I'm gona have to wait either way until next year at best to try and do something

Again many thanks for the quick response, if you know of any other way of going about it let me know

Again many thanks for the answers,

I contacted RDF 2 Eastern Brigade from the email address provided on the Military.ie website. Got a reply nearly instantly, all positions filled for this year, so I'm gona have to wait either way until next year at best to try and do something

Again many thanks for the quick response, if you know of any other way of going about it let me know

Ignore this - I heard the exact same story from a prospective recruit last week, and it's BS.

You should get yourself along to your preferred unit ASAP and start the process of getting the paperwork through, seeing as though: i) there's a deliberate go-slow by the PDF on processing paperwork in order to deplete our numbers, so you want to minimise the wait ii) not quite all places this year have been filled, despite what you hear iii) it's recruitment based on position on waiting list, so you want to be as high on that as possible iv) a little birdie tells me the shocking news that some RDF units, somewhere, have been offering non-military-sensitive training to give prospective recruits as much of a leg-up as they can before enlistment is authorised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Maoltuile wrote: »
    a little birdie tells me the shocking news that some RDF units, somewhere, have been offering non-military-sensitive training to give prospective recruits as much of a leg-up as they can before enlistment is authorised.
    ?????
    It is in the syllabus - You are SUPPOSED to be doing it.

Advertisement