Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Triathlon Program to follow

Options
  • 06-09-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Sorry if this has been asked to death, but I am looking for a good triathlon training program (preferably a free one)...

I would like to do a half iron man sometime next year...but will probably attempt a few Tri sprints before this in the spring next year. I would just like some structure to follow some sort of plan.

I will be happy enough with my running...I dont own a proper bike yet, so this is my next item to buy and will start cycling then. I am working on my swimming, my technique seems to be improving, I can now breathe properly and stuff, but get tired fairly easy. Can manage about 15-20 lenghts of the pool now so will keep at it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'd recommend a small investment in a book such as The Triathletes Training Bible or Your Best Triathlon both of which are choc full of the how and why of the training systems as well as having structured training programs which will help you build from base fitness through to race tapering and race day preparation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Same as above or look at the free programmes on Beginner Triathlete

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Gets what ya pay for.

If you aren't going to pay for someone else to do the reading and thinking then you need to do it. Lots of books and reading. The generic free programmes are, IMHO, sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

My advise for Triathlon training is to train around your lifestyle - it all depends on how much time you can fit in and what distance your focus is on.

Few examples:

Incorporate your cycling/running training by cycling/running to work.

Run at lunchtime so you can swim/cycle in the evening (most likely swimming in the winter as the nights get shorter)

I know your probably looking for more info such as when to do tempo/LSD/recovery sessions etc... that'll be in the books or better yet free online - beginnertriathlete is a great site...

K.

• Advertisement

keith123 wrote: »
    My advise for Triathlon training is to train around your lifestyle - it all depends on how much time you can fit in and what distance your focus is on.

Few examples:

Incorporate your cycling/running training by cycling/running to work.

Run at lunchtime so you can swim/cycle in the evening (most likely swimming in the winter as the nights get shorter)

I know your probably looking for more info such as when to do tempo/LSD/recovery sessions etc... that'll be in the books or better yet free online - beginnertriathlete is a great site...

K.

Does commuting count as training?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Why wouldn't it?

RayCun wrote: »
    Why wouldn't it?

Why would it?

Specifically cycling:
    * Its probably too short.
    * Its constantly interrupted
    * Its probably done slower than training pace

Now if you happen to have a 50km ride on quiet roads to work then yes that could work.

Running commuting - probably junk miles.

I think people who include commuting in their volumes do so because they do fvck all actual training and simply want to inflate their numbers.

tunney wrote: »
    Does commuting count as training?

If you've a Flintstones car yes! :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlGoXxG1Aiiym6xq4oECnhU6NXrfLVAAKaD1YANPSqdRBiW-4QcQ

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Why would it?

Specifically cycling:

Now if you happen to have a 50km ride on quiet roads to work then yes that could work.

I think people who include commuting in their volumes do so because they do fvck all actual training and simply want to inflate their numbers.

I thought there was no such thing as junk miles?

If your run/cycle into work is very short/interrupted/slow then the training benefit is not very high. Your commute to work is never going to be one of your key sessions. But the guy who commutes 5k to and from work every day is going to be in better shape than the guy who drives it, if their other training is the same, right?

(If that's all the running/cycling you do then you're in trouble, sure)

• Advertisement

Why would it?

Specifically cycling:

I cycle into work 3 times a week (30km one way) so I get 180km a week total - it's all beneficial; I know I'm not getting a fast 20/40km time trial or a 4/5 hour cycle in but that can be done on the weekend to bump the miles and speed. I also run at lunchtime with KrustyClown (who does doubles everyday mind you; only running thou) about 5-7 miles on the non cycling days. If I didn't do this and just trained at night I wouldn't be at the fitness level I am now. As Krusty told me himself, if he didn't run at lunchtime everyday he wouldn't be able to hit the 100+ miles he needs to reach each week. So, you have to train around your lifestyle especially for Triathlons, my 2 cent anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

So commuting miles should not be included in the SBR challenge?

So commuting miles should not be included in the SBR challenge?

I wasn't. Then I had queried that one and discovered that everyone else was. When in Rome..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I wasn't. Then I had queried that one and discovered that everyone else was. When in Rome..............

Hmm did not know that.......my miles are all 'clean' :D

Hmm did not know that.......my miles are all 'clean' :D

Maybe. But would love to see how the TSS for the clean rides stacks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Ah FFS!! Are you telling me Fazz & MCOS are swimming in and out of work too?!

Advertisement