Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college insist on tuition fee payment

Options
  • 06-09-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

have apllied to SUSI to pay for tuition fee and student contribution and awaiting final decision. i have also qualified for BTEA but to get this need to register first but my college (not sure if i can name them here, they're in the city centre anyway) insist i pay half of the tuition fee element,which i dont have, before I can register. Though they have accepted my SUSI application number to cover the student contribution .Anyone have experience with this? Guy i spoke today said he wld let me register late, but if i register late, i will lose out on my BTEA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭michelleling

I am on the same boat with you. I am also waiting for SUSI to approve the Tuition and Contribution Charge, and am also qualified for BTEA but waiting for the registration which they cannot let me register!

This is very frustrating!. There suppose to be a way that they should allow the unemployed to register for college and give them chance for SUSI to approve their grant!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't think there is any problem naming the college

I think that this situation is crazy - I would suggest getting onto your local TD and explaining to them that because SUSI is taking so long you vould actually lose the opportunity altogether.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Honestly, TD may try but wouldn't succeed I bet. This is all simply btw me and the College. I cannot believe that all these years, there is no system for unemployed people willing and eager to go to college.

I am unemployed and cannot afford to pay the Tuition and Contribution charge which amounts to a total of 7000 euro. With time, that should be paid by SUSI but my college arent willing to give me such time. Pathetic!

Honestly, TD may try but wouldn't succeed I bet. This is all simply btw me and the College. I cannot believe that all these years, there is no system for unemployed people willing and eager to go to college.

I am unemployed and cannot afford to pay the Tuition and Contribution charge which amounts to a total of 7000 euro. With time, that should be paid by SUSI but my college arent willing to give me such time. Pathetic!

Why would you have to pay the tuition plus contribution?

You should also contact the students union of the college you are going to to see if they can help.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Why would you have to pay the tuition plus contribution?

You should also contact the students union of the college you are going to to see if they can help.

For some nonsensical reason which by the way I am appealing, I qualified for the EU rate of Fee instead of Free Fees. So I have to pay both the Tuition and the Contribution Charge as stated by the Fee Status Office in my college.

But I qualify for 100% student grant, but it seems like my college isnt giving me any chance at all. They' re like pay up now cos you re EU rate of Fee student or Feck Off. They wont even let me register!

• Advertisement

For some nonsensical reason which by the way I am appealing, I qualified for the EU rate of Fee instead of Free Fees. So I have to pay both the Tuition and the Contribution Charge as stated by the Fee Status Office in my college.

But I qualify for 100% student grant, but it seems like my college isnt giving me any chance at all. They' re like pay up now cos you re EU rate of Fee student or Feck Off. They wont even let me register!

Go to the students union

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

what college is this - most students can register simply by entering their grant applications details ?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

I've been refused the fee portion of grant (it seems someone made a mistake when processing my application so waiting on appeal) but I have been approved for BTEA but need to bring in letter to confirm my registration to get it.... so college wouldnt register me unless half the contribution charge was paid (its a vicious circle) so i managed to get a loan of 1000 to cover halfish (hoping the college will be ok with that) and then ill be refunded once SUSI come through

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrs.matt.bomer

what college is this - most students can register simply by entering their grant applications details ?

TCD, I dont qualify for the free fees scheme as I am still awating naturalisation decision(another slow process!) but qualify for grant to cover tuition fees. Everything being done online this year so i think a visit will hopefully sort things out

oh god that is awful. I know a different city centre college and all we require is the details of the grant application - i.e. when. It could be related to your naturalisation process which is awful. Can you call in and talk to them?. Would it be possible to apply to overdraft/loan to simply pay the tuition element to that you can register. Most colleges now have deals with Banks offering loans especially for students.

• Advertisement

TCD, I dont qualify for the free fees scheme as I am still awating naturalisation decision(another slow process!) but qualify for grant to cover tuition fees. Everything being done online this year so i think a visit will hopefully sort things out

We both have the same problem!.. Same tuition fee, same awaiting Nat, same everything!

oh god that is awful. I know a different city centre college and all we require is the details of the grant application - i.e. when. It could be related to your naturalisation process which is awful. Can you call in and talk to them?. Would it be possible to apply to overdraft/loan to simply pay the tuition element to that you can register. Most colleges now have deals with Banks offering loans especially for students.

Most bank have deals but they need you parents to sign a grantee for ya. As you can see some foreigners live in Ireland without their parents like myself and mrs.matt.bomer I suppose. Plus if you aint Irish, it is like winning a lottery for a bank to give you a loan or even student overdraft! Its a no win situation for us immigrants!

so you are being penalised for a situation that is out of your control. Is this unique to TCD. Most other decent colleges either expect no payment and just your susi details or a deposit type payment to confirm registration. Not everything paid upfront. I would go in and have a conversation with them in person and see if they can do anything for you. Some flexibility is deserved.

be careful aswell about paying any money upfront. make sure you know if you are eligible for a refund and how to apply and the deadlines etc. One student I know paid all his fees upfront for a certain programme so that he could be registered (susi not applicable) and was then declinded BTEA. So he decided to withdraw from the course. Unfortunately he was not entitled to any refund of the fees he paid. Shocker.

so you are being penalised for a situation that is out of your control. Is this unique to TCD. Most other decent colleges either expect no payment and just your susi details or a depoist type payment to confirm registration. Not everything paid upfront. I would go in and have a conversation with them in person and see if they can do anything for you. Some flexibility is deserved.

ha I think TCD is far better to this college DCU. Jess, I hve done everything on my power to see that I register., everything!... I cannot believe that there isnt a system where people waiting for grant should register!.

nicearbhaill, I have being penalised so much for situations that is out of my control. To start with, I qualify for EU Fees and not Free Fees simply and solely cos im married to an Irish (Born and bred).. If I were to marry a foreign national from EU, I would have gotten the Free Fees.

I should only have paid 2225 instead of 6700euro. What a discrimination against Spouses of an Irish National!

The system will give free fees to spouse of non irish national but not to us that have connection with Irish! Pathetic!

I even made an appeal but to no avail!.. honestly,

well there is a system in some colleges trust me - you dont pay anything and just provide your susi application details. Simple. No money upfront. Susi iis new this year and very few people have decisions yet so why should students be penalised.

michelleling - sorry to hear of your situation. Im not that familiar with the whole EU fees but hopefully you have been properly assessed. Sounds ridiculous though

well there is a system in some colleges trust me - you dont pay anything and just provide your susi application details. Simple. No money upfront. Susi iis new this year and very few people have decisions yet so why should students be penalised.

michelleling - sorry to hear of your situation. Im not that familiar with the whole EU fees but hopefully you have been properly assessed. Sounds ridiculous though

DCU dont have in their registration, a section where you can enter your SUSI details or something. I was very surprised about that.

All my hopes where that I qualify for Free Fees until it was shattered cos I am married to an Irish and not someone from France, Poland etc..

Eu Fees is that you have to pay both the Tuition and Contribution Charge amounting 6700!.. Unbelievable.

well not all colleges are like TCD and DCU - they operate a much fairer scheme. Way less stressful to register. The stress may kick in though when the decision from Susi finally arrives and if they are declined the fees are then due.

from what I know fee assessment is tricky and unfair business. Double check everything DCU did. Their fee assessment policy and procedures should be public so make sure they are correct. I am Irish born and bred but due to residency I would not quality for free fees.

well not all colleges are like TCD and DCU - they operate a much fairer scheme. Way less stressful to register. The stress may kick in though when the decision from Susi finally arrives and if they are declined the fees are then due.

from what I know fee assessment is tricky and unfair business. Double check everything DCU did. Their fee assessment policy and procedures should be public so make sure they are correct. I am Irish born and bred but due to residency I would not quality for free fees.

I qualified for everything except that I am married to an Irish. It is something to do with Residency Stamp. Anyways, is it possible to register like in a months time by the time that my Grant approval letter comes through?

I cant comment on DCU but in the college I know if you dont register by 31st Oct you are charged a late reg fee and then you lose the option of paying in instalments. Other things you cant get if you dont register are a student card, access to student support (eg medical centre etc), go to the library and get any forms you would need stamped etc. You can still go to induction and go to class.

Go in and talk to them. Does DCU even offer an instalment plan?

In respect of your fees they should have written to you and explained what category of fees you fall under. Their fee assessment policies and procedues should be public and available online. Find it and make sure you are in the right category.

I cant comment on DCU but in the college I know if you dont register by 31st Oct you are charged a late reg fee and then you lose the option of paying in instalments. Other things you cant get if you dont register are a student card, access to student support (eg medical centre etc), go to the library and get any forms you would need stamped etc. You can still go to induction and go to class.

Go in and talk to them. Does DCU even offer an instalment plan?

In respect of your fees they should have written to you and explained what category of fees you fall under. Their fee assessment policies and procedues should be public and available online. Find it and make sure you are in the right category.

DCU offer 2 installment plans. Pay 60% now and 40% in January.

The Fee Assessment Office have assessed me and told me that I qualified for the EU rate of Fee.

You will also be charge 170euro if you don't pay by 31oct, but nothing about losing the option of installment plan mentioned.

Does it actually worth going to the induction and classes? I dont wanna look like a poor useless idiot without student card, access to student support (eg medical centre etc)

• Advertisement

well I would double check the instalment plan aspect (also that 60% and 40% breakdown is also very harsh)

again I cant comment on DCU but if you are living in Dublin why not. In the college I am familiar with lots of students do not register before classes commence for various reasons. Some programmes may still be receiving applications. I dont know DCU but you are a student there except that you have not registered yet.

while you are checking stuff out make sure your find out about refunds in respect of any money you do pay. There is no guarantee susi will get back to anyone by a definite timeframe. This is their first year and it is one office for the whole country???? - and they are still accepting applications. Dont make the mistake of paying anything and not being able to get the money back. And if you do decide not to go ahead make sure you follow their withdrawal procedure. This will leave other options available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Contact the Student Union, hopefully they'll be willing to help. I don't know about other colleges but we have student advisors in UCD who are really great to go have a chat with about situations like this. It's a joke, really hope you both get sorted.

Michelleling & Mrs.matt.bomer
    I'm not sure if you have heard of the Migrant Education Access Campaign run by the Migrant Rights Centre

www.facebook.com/migranteducationaccess

http://www.mrci.ie/

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrs.matt.bomer

well i plan on going to TCD in person tmrw to see what I can sort out otherwise might have to get loan off the in-laws to cover the first instalment. hopefully will have decision by then. Which we dont really want to do, but might be forced to. I need to register so i get the BTEA.

best of luck - trust me not all colleges are like TCD and DCU and have much fairer systems

Advertisement