Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making image of pc

Options
  • 06-09-2012 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Ok here's the thing. I have two pcs, identical in every way. Only problem is one machine has a blank disk. So I'm wondering can I use clonzilla to make an image of my fully working pc to a large usb disk then copy that image down to the new pc so that it will be an identical build even down to pc name etc? Identical names won't be an issue as they won't be on a network. Trying to save myself some time by not having to do a full reinstall of the OS and applications etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

First things first - you need a valid licence for the same version of windows for both machines to do this.

An easier way to do it would be to put the blank image into the working machine, boot from a Clonezilla CD and image the disk that way, then put the newly-installed drive into the second machine and boot it.

If you're using oem licences you may have re-activation based hilarity to contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Have all the licenses sorted. So basically stick the second disk into the original machine and run clonzilla and do a disk to disk type image?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Faolchu wrote: »
    Have all the licenses sorted. So basically stick the second disk into the original machine and run clonzilla and do a disk to disk type image?

Yep, pretty much. I've not done it with CloneZilla but i've done it with Acronis TrueImage before and it was pretty straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

clonezilla a bit daunting if your not to used to it, it can look intimidating, but really its not, great software all around,
    here's a windows based one if you have another pc to do the clone. DriveImage XML

you may also be able to use driveimage on the source computer(when in windows) with destination drive hooked up to it and try cloning. not too sure, i have used acronis in the past and that let me. not sure about driveimage, but it couldn't hurt to see.

Advertisement