Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional Certifications, Flexible Semester

Options
  • 06-09-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Going into 3rd year Multimedia, wondering if anybody has any experience with the three professional certs available, which is the best? are any of them good? thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

I did the CS5 certs (Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Flash) last year. The exams for the certs didn't start running until the middle/end of November. If they are going to be run the same way this year as last year, then it'll be pretty easy. What I did was, do one exam and write down the questions that I didn't know the answer to and looked them up when I went home. A lot of the questions we got asked last year was repeated each time we did an exam (and people still managed to fail the exam...:/).

I'm not sure if there is any books/content out there that we were meant to be learning or not (I went to the library for all of September and October and the only actual work I did there was writing up the report on what I apparently studied, the rest of the time I was playing the Sims on facebok).

It could be run differently this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

Howlin1 wrote: »
    I did the CS5 certs (Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Flash) last year. The exams for the certs didn't start running until the middle/end of November. If they are going to be run the same way this year as last year, then it'll be pretty easy. What I did was, do one exam and write down the questions that I didn't know the answer to and looked them up when I went home. A lot of the questions we got asked last year was repeated each time we did an exam (and people still managed to fail the exam...:/).

I'm not sure if there is any books/content out there that we were meant to be learning or not (I went to the library for all of September and October and the only actual work I did there was writing up the report on what I apparently studied, the rest of the time I was playing the Sims on facebok).

It could be run differently this year.

no....from the sound of what your saying its going to be exactly the same this year! nothing is clarified very well. I was thinking of doing the adobe cert too, did you have to do some oracle thing along with it?? thought I saw that somewhere anyway that's putting me off it.

I know about all the reports and what not you submit through the semester about what you,ve learned etc, but if you actually do fail the exams, does it have any repercussions? I have heard conflicting stuff about this, some people telling me they failed the exams and it not hindering there progression whatsoever

mr.noobie wrote: »
    no....from the sound of what your saying its going to be exactly the same this year! nothing is clarified very well. I was thinking of doing the adobe cert too, did you have to do some oracle thing along with it?? thought I saw that somewhere anyway that's putting me off it.
    If you picked the adobe certs you were meant to do one of the Java certs as well, but due to various reason (like the exam centres are only in galway, kerry and dublin I think. You have ~€100 to do the exam each time and the exams are only on at a certain time and only a few people are allowed to do them at the same time.) we only had to show proof that we looked over the material given.
    The adobe certs are the only ones that was free to do for us.
    I know about all the reports and what not you submit through the semester about what you,ve learned etc, but if you actually do fail the exams, does it have any repercussions? I have heard conflicting stuff about this, some people telling me they failed the exams and it not hindering there progression whatsoever
    To my knowledge some people in my course didn't pass all the exams and they are in 4th year now. I think it you keep trying to pass the exams but keep failing you might be okay.

kk thanks for the information, im fairly weak at java and not keen on doing anymore than I have too. the adobe options appeal to me plus its free, its nice to know also that failing the exams wont hinder my progression while I will be learning the material and submitting what ive learned, the cert wont exactly be on top of my priority's, ill be in work making some extra cash for the next couple months :D

If your work is anyway tech/computer related you could see if that can count as part of your fleix semester.

• Advertisement

Howlin1 wrote: »
    If your work is anyway tech/computer related you could see if that can count as part of your fleix semester.
    nah nah I dont think a supermarket counts haha :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CM93

I'm in Third Year IT Flexible Semester and have decided to do the Adobe Certification. Did Adobe issue any Course Notes or Course Content. I do have the Adobe Classroom in a book but are there any official adobe course notes to follow.

Advertisement