Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transferring a file of 300mb..

Options
  • 06-09-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Help!

I need to transfer a zipped file of 300mb to some people and I am wondering how to do it low cost or free, email is usually restricted to 25mb, so that rules that out.

I do however have a website and wonder if i could somehow do it through the ftp area of the webhost? how could this be done or would i be jeopardising the security of the website by giving person access?

any advice welcome

thanks,

SAJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

saj1011 wrote: »
    Help!

I need to transfer a zipped file of 300mb to some people and I am wondering how to do it low cost or free, email is usually restricted to 25mb, so that rules that out.

I do however have a website and wonder if i could somehow do it through the ftp area of the webhost?

any advice welcome

thanks,

SAJ

Something like dropbox, google drive or skydrive would be the easiest. Putting it where your website is may expose it to others and depending on how many people you are sending it to and the type of plan you have, it would also consume bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

wetransfer.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

If its legal use

www.multiupload.nl and email them the link, if its illegal... dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

You could use YouSendIt. I think its free up to a certain number of downloads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Dropbox is probably the handiest, you can just drop the file onto the Dropbox folder on your PC, have the file publicy available available or share a private folder with your friends.

Dropbox is free for 2Gb online storage and if you use the following link to sign up you and me will get an extra 500mb of storage free :)
    http://db.tt/sJqDSFq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Windows Skydrive will let you share the file.

This can also be used to collaborate on Office files over the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Another hassle free option is

Speedy Share:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement