Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up windows server 2008 on virtual pc

Options
  • 06-09-2012 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Im trying to set up server 2008 on windows virtual pc. Im running windows 7 Ultimate so have xp mode installed. Thing is that i have 4 hard drives of 500gb in my pc and am i right in saying virtual pc only works on a hard drive of 127gb ? If so do I shrink a hard drive to 127gb then install server 2008 on it or how do i go about it ? I have tried it but when installing server 2008 on the virtual pc it only sees the C drive. If I try to install it on that it'll say theres another OS on the drive and a folder will be created called old OS or something along those lines !! Any guides to doing this ? Any help appreciated.

Comments

Why use 'windows virtualpc'?

Can you use Virtualbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

your doing it upside down.
    run Virtual win7 on 2008

you cant run 2008 on win7 xp mode.

maybe can get it to work on x64 win7, but book some time off first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 theblueeyz

This will never work, Virtual PC only supports 32-bit OS's and server 2008 is 64-bit only.

whizbang has it right, WS2008 has to be the host, using Hyper-V to run Win7 and anything else you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

theblueeyz wrote: »
    This will never work, Virtual PC only supports 32-bit OS's and server 2008 is 64-bit only.

whizbang has it right, WS2008 has to be the host, using Hyper-V to run Win7 and anything else you want.

Windows 2008 Server R2 is 64bit only, 2008 supports 32bit.

Also use Virtualbox as the hypervisor

When you create the VM, use a Virtual hard drive also, not a physical one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Don't mean to hijack the thread but think this needs a new one so I figured I throw my query here.
    So I have little to no knowledge on Windows Server,at I guess would it something simliar to an internal network which runs within a small business or college where the users are split into different groups and each group has different privileges/rights? or something along those lines?
    Obviously there's alot more to it so my question is can point to site that maybe goes through it or myabe a series of youtube videos?
    (A google search brings up a whole host of sites)

*would here be a good place to start maybe?
    http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/Home.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but think this needs a new one so I figured I throw my query here.
    So I have little to no knowledge on Windows Server,at I guess would it something simliar to an internal network which runs within a small business or college where the users are split into different groups and each group has different privileges/rights? or something along those lines?
    Kind of. Windows Server itself is just the underlying OS and can be used for lots of stuff. When installed it gives you the option of setting up 'Roles' for the server, depending on what you want to use the server for. Examples would be Application Server, File Server, IIS (Web Server), DNS Server, Print Server etc. Handling users/groups etc. is just one of the roles, called Active Directory Domain Services.

Not sure where the best place to start on it would be, I ended up just learning by poking around in test systems more than anything.

Advertisement