Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throat Coat

Options
  • 06-09-2012 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Anyone know where I can get this? Haven't seen it in any of the health shops round here. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Eriopis wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get this? Haven't seen it in any of the health shops round here. Cheers!

Try the 'Haberdashery' section of this forum, although for the life of me I can't find it, perhaps 'the mods' might help here.
    Not being 'up' on haute couture, I'll hazard a guess and say 'Michael Guiney's', failing that, try 'Clery's' of O'Connell Street Dublin, that's if the Yanks haven't already nabbed the lot!
    On reflection a 'throat coat' does seem a bit elaborate, have you tried wearing a scarf?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Eriopis

9959 wrote: »
    Try the 'Haberdashery' section of this forum, although for the life of me I can't find it, perhaps 'the mods' might help here.
    Not being 'up' on haute couture, I'll hazard a guess and say 'Michael Guiney's', failing that, try 'Clery's' of O'Connell Street Dublin, that's if the Yanks haven't already nabbed the lot!
    On reflection a 'throat coat' does seem a bit elaborate, have you tried wearing a scarf?

hehehe.., thanks for the giggle! 'Throat coat' is a throat spray for singers and public speakers, not an item of clothing! ;)
    I've since found out that it is not being manufactured any more, but I managed to get a bottle of it in a health store in Newbridge. Once it's gone though it'll be all gone. Oh well!
    Thanks for your reply though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Thanks for taking it in the spirit in which it was given.
    Good luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Second and Sebring

Why don't they manufacture it anymore do you know? I'm curious now.XD

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Eriopis

Why don't they manufacture it anymore do you know? I'm curious now.XD

I think it has to do with the crackdown on herbal products that took place in Ireland a while back. Basically they banned anything that worked :rolleyes: Throat coat had slippery elm bark in it which works as a very effective demulcent (soothes mucous membranes without stripping the vocal chords the way that menthol does). I've tried various products, including Throat Coat tea, which tastes vile, and the lozenges and find they both work better than the throat spray anyway, so no big loss. You can still order slippery elm lozenges and tea from Ebay and Amazon, (Thayer's is the brand for the lozenges) and they do the trick well enough. Vocalzone pastilles are also available in some health shops; they do contain menthol but they're pretty good if you're badly blocked up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Crystallised ginger (which you can get in health food shops) is magical for the voice. And no nasty menthol to contend with!;)

Advertisement