Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet vs Smart Broadband in Castletroy (Limerick)

Options
  • 06-09-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

Long story short, moved out to a new shared gaff for college recently only to find out there's no broadband in the place. UPC can't offer broadband to the area so I'm left with the choice between Magnet and Smart for (up to) 24Mb. Never been with either company most of what I've seen on the next about both has been fairly negative, particularly regarding their customer service.

Anyone have any experience with either in the area? Been told Smart are decent but the connection is regularly inconsistent which as an MMO gamer would be a major problem. Magnet have told me I'd get around 10Mb while Smart have promised 20Mb (obviously taking salt with both estimates). Magnet at €40 over 9 months plus the disconnection fee are more expensive than Smart over 12 at 30.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Julez

Hey I see you never got a reply to this, I curently am in and area that can't get UPC and I don't want to get Over the Air internet or eircom. So I'm left with the Smart or Magnet option I think. Which did you choose, anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Given a choice between Smart and Magnet then I think I would get Smart.

Smart is €10 per month cheaper and includes a phone service. However Smart does have a 350GB cap versus unlimited with Magnet, so if you are a big downloader then that might make a difference.

I have Smart myself and it works fine. However I'd jump at the opportunity to get UPC if it was available.

BTW Smart and Magnet are not available to most people. In which case Vodafone are probably your next best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Cheers for the reply BK.

I ended up putting an order in with Magnet a few days later, I figured with 5 of us in the house having no download cap was worth the extra €10.

Unfortunately the Eircom engineer who was supposed to come out to reactivate the line in the house was directed to the other side of Limerick (apparently reading an address fully, or calling the contact beforehand to confirm the address is something they don't do over in Henry St.) and I've spent the last two weeks onto Magnet's customer service trying to get the situation resolved with no luck yet.

Advertisement