Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Education Allowance

Options
  • 06-09-2012 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

hi there, i had my BTEA accepted a few weeks ago and i was told to submit a form from my college to say that i am registered. i did so last thursday and was just wondering 1. when do i get my Cost of Education Allowance?

also 2. when does my payment go from 100 up to 188? the letter from my college said i am now a registered student for the year and will commence my course on the 17th of September.

when i was filling the BTEA form out i asked for it to be paid into my bank account and there is no extra money there yet.

cheers

edit: i just looked up somewhere else and it said i should get it the middle of october?? that can't be right can it lol surely they need to pay it before i start college so i can buy stuff before i start

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 qtkat77

i'm going crazy trying to find out the exact same thing! i'm so confused and the social welfare are useless! did you apply for the cost of education seperatly to btea? on the btea form i got it said you had to apply seperatly but when i asked the social welfare they said i didnt but then the citicens information told me i did :confused:! i've been getting my btea into my account for 2 weeks and i gave in a letter sayin im registered but havent heard anything about the cost of education yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

There is very little written about how it works but going on numerous postings on the subject in this site over the past years it seems to be that BTEA kicks in about 2 weeks after you have produced a letter to Social Welfare that you have registered at the college and after the start date of your course. The Cost of Education Allowance seems to require that you give another letter from the college to SW, this time stating that you are in attendance. Last year, most people didn't get the Cost of Education till the end of October or start of November. Most students need to borrow money from relatives etc., in order to purchase books and materials or just photocopy relevant pages of the books of students who can afford to buy them at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

qtkat77 wrote: »
    i'm going crazy trying to find out the exact same thing! i'm so confused and the social welfare are useless! did you apply for the cost of education seperatly to btea? on the btea form i got it said you had to apply seperatly but when i asked the social welfare they said i didnt but then the citicens information told me i did :confused:! i've been getting my btea into my account for 2 weeks and i gave in a letter sayin im registered but havent heard anything about the cost of education yet??
    can i ask what day btea is paid on? i am waiting on mine to go into my bank so it would be nice to know what day it gopes in on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

From what i could make out from my SW branch the BTEA goes in on a thursday. I know because ive to stretch 100 over 2 weeks while i wait for the following thursday to come. I usually collect my money on a monday and for college i think this is just the obvious day but what do i know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Media999

I was told yesterday as soon as i have proof that the registration fee was paid you get the allowance. the 300

Youll get the 188 next week.

Problem is if SUSI or Welfare delays anything it takes a while

Last year people got the 300 [ 500 at the time] in mid November. Welfare delayed it.

• Advertisement

keelanj69 wrote: »
    From what i could make out from my SW branch the BTEA goes in on a thursday. I know because ive to stretch 100 over 2 weeks while i wait for the following thursday to come. I usually collect my money on a monday and for college i think this is just the obvious day but what do i know?

Might depend on bank. Could have sworn a mate of mine collected on a Monday last year.

Why not just leave it in bank till monday?

well i start Monday and registration isnt till the 20th.

hope there not waiting till i have registered to start paying me the btea. i gave in a letter saying that i have accepted the place and date registration is hope that will do.

How can you start before registering?

Youll get the BTEA next week.

The 300 when you have proof your fees are paid. If using SUSI when they send you a letter saying your fees are paid you bring that to welfare and the put through the 300.

Year by year they are changing this. Last year it was 500 straight away. This year its 300 after paying fees. Next year i guarantee it will be 200 then probably gone the year after.

Media999 wrote: »
    How can you start before registering?

Youll get the BTEA next week.

The 300 when you have proof your fees are paid. If using SUSI when they send you a letter saying your fees are paid you bring that to welfare and the put through the 300.

Year by year they are changing this. Last year it was 500 straight away. This year its 300 after paying fees. Next year i guarantee it will be 200 then probably gone the year after.
    Ye i kown but that's the way it is i have orientation all next week.
    Its an access coarse and the fees are 900 but if your entitled ti beta you don't have to pay the fee

Advertisement