Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for Vox AC15 flightcase?

Options
  • 06-09-2012 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a flightcase for a VOX AC15. Thomann and Music Store don't seem to do them. Well, Thomann could do a custom one which would be about e280.

I got a quote from a UK company for roughly the same price including shipping.

Are there any other cheaper options available to me? If I have to pay that much, I will, but it seems like a lot. I was expecting it to be around the e200 mark more than closer to e300 :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Might be worth giving these guys a ring.. Have seen them recommended a few times, but not used them myself so no idea if they are competitive in pricing terms.

http://dublinflightcase.com/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'll give em a buzz and see....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Dublinflightcase will be expensive.

Thomann (Thon) will do it but will take a good few weeks.

Swan are uk based and will do a cheap one, but it will not be as good as the two above.

Swan are £230 shipped to Ireland. Cheapest quote so far...
    I don't need top top quality, just something to keep the amp covered in a van...

Thon about e280 dunno why it's so dear...I suppose as it's a one off product...

seachto7 wrote: »
    Swan are £230 shipped to Ireland. Cheapest quote so far...
    I don't need top top quality, just something to keep the amp covered in a van...

Thon about e280 dunno why it's so dear...I suppose as it's a one off product...

Would you not consider making it yourself? As you don't need an industrial sturdy unit, its a small box of plywood with padded inserts and clasps.. and given you won't be throwing it about it would be fairly cheap to make. Might be worth costing it up at your local hardware store.

• Advertisement

I might get a carpenter I know to make one. I can barely bake a cake :(

My advice on home made flight cases.....don't unless they have done them before. You'll end up with a heavier case.

Swan are grand. The use black plastic type material with a hex design. I've got a few of their cases but in a a-b to a thon case they are not as good. Thon would be a snug fit with good heavy duty parts and wheels. Swan tend to leave out handles or have just the bare minimum, of course you can ask for more but they will charge.

Ah, I see, I will suss out thon again....

what about Gator cases....

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16190-1375/g-212-roto

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16190-594/g-tour-amp112

First one, I would imagine, is the cheaper option.

Gator are plastic. Not bad however you'd spend just as much.

Interestingly I had a conversation the weekend in about weight. With the cost of desiel all light weight cases would save money.....

Only issue I had with gator is their rack rails can not support the weight of heavy units but as guitar amps go I'm be worried about the wheels screwed into a plastic cases lasting.

Just picked up one without wheels for e200 on thomann. Cheaper than anything I was quoted elsewhere. I would have liked to have kept the business in Ireland but alas could not afford the quote I was sent....

• Advertisement

Get yourself down to Woodies and get some wheels and put them on. Just screw in the bolts from the inside of the case and trim excess from the outside. €20 for four non locking wheels.

I will do. Woodies you say.....

They are called caster wheels or something like that, right?

seachto7 wrote: »
    I will do. Woodies you say.....

They are called caster wheels or something like that, right?

I used them on my 19" rack.. they come in a variety of sizes (and cost) from small to large lockable ones.. B&Q have them also.

cool, will check them out once the case arrives!

Yep castors, Woddies or b&q or any large hardware store. Just bear in mind that you need bolts(m10) , drill etc.

Most cases have a wheel board made and then attached to the case. If your attaching wheels without a wheel board the bolts can extend to far into the case so you screw them from the inside out and trim the excess otherwise the wheel can swivel.

Also lockable ones cost double the amount of non lockable wheels.

hmm, yeah, need to watch how I would drill into the case. might get a wheel board done, and put case onto it....?

well it's only an ac15, so maybe don't need wheels at all

Advertisement